Development Review Committee
Plan Review Checklist
Trey Maevers, DRC Coordinator
4953 State Avenue
Kansas City, Kansas 66102
Phone: 913-573-8664 phone
Office Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Check List and Requirements:
A complete DRC submittal will include full construction documents (architectural, civil, MEP, etc.), 2 copies of the COMcheck reports, 2 copies of any supporting reports and calculations. All DRC submittals are required to be signed and sealed by a Kansas licensed design professional. Reference submittal requirements on the DRC home page.
The Infrastructure Construction Information page of the UG website, has the latest versions for all of the UG’s engineering guidelines, checklists, and minimum design standards for stormwater treatment, retaining wall, storm drainage, erosion control, streets, and sanitary sewers.
UG STORMWATER TREATMENT ORDINANCE In accordance with the August 2009, second edition of the MARC (Manual of Best Management Practices for Stormwater Quality).
General Site Plan Requirements
- Project name and address
- Legal description of the development site and vicinity map
- Building use, type, and/or purpose
- North arrow & scale 1”=20’ or 1/16” minimum
- All property lines, all existing and proposed utility and utility easement(s), project benchmark, and right of way
- Location with regard to street (lot and block or tract)
- Proposed and/or existing setbacks
- Proposed and/or existing curb cuts
- Proposed and/or existing drives and walks (indicate type of material)
- Proposed and/or existing grades
- Proposed and/or existing off street parking including compliance with ADA
- Proposed and/or existing landscaping (specific type, size and location)
- Proposed and/or existing trash container, bin or dumpster location and screening information
- Flood zone information when applicable
- Structure(s) to be demolished
- Location and size of water main serving lot shown
- Existing and proposed sanitary sewers
- Storm sewer inlets and associated piping if applicable
- Elevations -
- Finish floor
- Finish curb or crown of street at points of extension of lot lines
- Locations and existing elevation of sanitary sewer stub to be utilized by the lot shown including UG node number
- Location of and existing elevations of upstream and downstream manholes including UG node number
- Existing and finish elevation at each corner lot
- Elevations of top of foundation to be utilized by the sanitary sewer
Building Inspection Division
- Name of developer
- Name, address, and phone number of contact person
- Complete structural plans, including floor layout, building elevations, and electrical, plumbing, and HVAC plan/details
- If any new easements are required the site must be platted (Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas Ordinance No. 51425, Section 42-4(1)
- Code footprint including but not limited to: construction type, occupancy load, egress plan, and area increase data
- Fire exits
- Fire escapes
- Sprinkler systems (when applicable)
- Smoke towers (when applicable to high rise structures)
- Stand pipes (when applicable)
- Fire alarm system
- Fire control and detection equipment
- Fire pumps (when applicable)
- Fire walls and stops
- Hose wells
- Smoke detectors
Planning and Zoning Division
- Site plans are a required submittal and must include:
- Floor plans
- Landscape plans
- Building elevations, including materials and color
- Sign elevations, including materials and mechanics
- Projected number of employees and people served by the project
- Supply plans and specifications of kitchen/meat room equipment, building materials and the location, size and type such equipment and facilities for:
- Grocery and Convenience Stores
- Nursing homes and child care centers
- Plans and specifications of all private sewage disposal systems
- Plans and specifications of all public swimming pools
Department of Air Quality Requirements
- State and local air pollution regulations require the registration and prior approval of all new or modified sources of air contaminant emissions with the Department of Air Quality (DAQ). The DAQ will supply the necessary application forms, conduct any necessary evaluation and issue appropriate construction permits or approvals. Assistance is available to any source operator in applying for necessary air permits/approvals and in understanding and complying with all local, state and federal air pollution regulations by calling (913) 573-6700.
- Major sources of air emissions must also apply for and receive an operating permit from DAQ.
Public Works-Engineering Division
- Intersection drawings
- Type of waste produced
- Method of sewage disposal
- Are sanitary sewers available? If private sewage systems detailed plans and specifications are required: Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas Ordinance, Article V, Section 32-75-86.
- Projected daily sewage load (gallons)
- Plans and specifications showing location, size, and type (sanitary, process, or storm) of all discharge lines into the municipal sewer system and the service proposed from the street water main to the control valve in the building
- Plans and specifications pertaining to the connection of roof, areaway, garage, or foundation drains, sanitary and process sewer lines into the municipal sewer system. By ordinance no surface water or water from roof and foundation drains may be discharged to a sanitary sewer.
- Meter and meter pit location, meter pit pipe and meter pit details for water not provided by the Board of Public Utilities of Kansas City, Kansas, which is discharged into the municipal sewer system.
- Plans and specifications of all pretreatment systems designed for pollutant removal from wastewater.
- Number of each type of water fixtures to be supplied
- Plans and specifications for surface water runoff including construction phase erosion control.
- Method of electrical power, telephone service, and cable television shall be provided by underground wiring for all new wiring provided as required: Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas Ordinance 27-708. See Ordinance for exceptions.
- The Public Works Department also needs to be supplied with the projected number of employees, the projected number of persons to be served by the project, and the projected growth rate.
Planning and Zoning-Engineering Division
Please take notice of the plan intake checklist. This checklist is a preliminary assessment of the completeness of the plans, and it sets forth the minimum requirements for a full, more detailed plan review. Plans will not be fully reviewed until all requirements on the intake checklist are met.
BOARD OF PUBLIC UTILITIES – Water and Electrical Distribution Divisions
- Water Main – Is a water main available and adequate to supply the proposed project? If water mains are not available at site, a main extension may be required to be constructed at developer’s expense
- Proposed electrical power including:
- Electrical one-line or riser drawings,
- Proposed panel board schedules, indicating electrical load in kVA, if known.
- Equipment lists calling out other major equipment that will require electrical power, to include electrical load, when known.
- If the project is to be built in phases, one overall or final plan is required. Two sets of plans are required:
- Site plan
- Mechanical plans including:
- Dedicated public right of way, roads, property lines and easements
- Number and type of units and water fixtures to be supplied
- Size, type of pipe and type of service proposed from water main to service control valve in building
- Proposed location of meter and/or meter pit, meter pit piping detail, meter pit detail
- Specifications and plans shall include the statement; “the plumber shall comply with the rules and regulations of the Board of Public Utilities.”
UG Health Department and Kansas Department of Agriculture Food Safety
- Projects with septic systems, commercial pools, and pre-package food are required to be reviewed by the UG Health Department. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the UG Health Department with one (1) set of complete plans.
UG Health Department
619 Ann Avenue
Kansas City, Kansas 66101
p. (913) 321-4803
- Food service establishments, taverns, private clubs, nursing homes, child care, schools, or hospitals must submit one (1) set of complete plans to the Kansas Department of Agriculture. Establishment must be inspected and approved before opening.
Kansas Department of Agriculture
109 SW 9th Street, 3rd Floor
Topeka, Kansas 66612
p. (785) 296-5600 f. (785) 296-0673