Public Health Department
WIC - FAQ
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Thursday 8:30 am to 6:00 pm
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Are appointments necessary?
- Is there a fee?
No fee is associated with WIC services.
- Where do I park?
Parking in the parking lot or on the street is $1 per hour.
- What are eligible proof of address, income and ID?
Click here to see eligible items.
- How long will my appointment take?
About an hour when arriving on time with papers complete.
- Why do I need to bring proofs every six months?
WIC is a federal program and requires us to review your information every six months or when it changes.
- Do I have to attend my class?
Classes are an opportunity to learn more about feeding your family. Information provided in class is different than the information from your regular appointment.
- How can I get to my appointment if I don't have a ride?
The bus stops on the corner of sixth and Ann. If you have a medical card the transportation number is on the back of the card.
- What do I do if my breast milk supply goes down?Call one of our Breastfeeding Peer Counselors, or call the WIC program to see if you are eligible for a breast pump.
- Now that I am on the program what happens?
At each appointment you will be issued up to a maximum of three months of checks. You will complete nutrition education every three months in the form of classes, meeting with a registered dietitian, or completing a nutrition topic on www.wichealth.org.
- What is a food check?
This is a check that has specific foods listed on it that you are eligible to receive. The checks can be used at any of the WIC approved vendors in Kansas. Click here for a list of WIC approved vendors.
- How do I know if a store will take my food check?
There is a special WIC sign posted in the front window of a WIC approved store. There are over 15 stores in Wyandotte County. Click here to see a picture of the WIC sign.
- Can I print a diet questionnaire and take it completed to the office at my appointment?
Yes, click here for a copy of the questionnaire.
||8:30 am - 5:00 pm
||P: (913) 321-6720
|619 Ann Avenue
||Mon, Wed, Fri
||F: (913) 321-6768
|Kansas City, KS
||10:00 am - 6:00 pm
||8:30 am - 6:00 pm