Unified Government Clerk's Office
Senior Citizen Utility Tax Rebate
The Unified Government offers a utility tax rebate to senior citizens during the first three months of the year.
The program offers senior citizens a rebate on a portion of the amount of utilities paid during the previous year. Persons applying must meet all three qualifications listed below:
- Be 65 years of age during the entire tax year
- Live in Kansas City, KS
- Total household income must not exceed $25,000
If you are eligible, your refund will be a total of:
- Gas franchise tax paid to Kansas Gas or Atmos Energy
- 90% of water pollution charges
- 6.9% of water and electricity paid to the Board of Public Utilities
- Franchise tax (special municipal charge) paid to SBC or AT&T
- Refund on city sales tax (based on income)
The maximum refund is $150.
Applications will be taken at the Municipal Office Building, 701 N. 7th St., Clerk's Office, Suite 323, Kansas City, KS 66101. Eligible persons should bring:
- All gas, telephone, and BPU bills paid during the tax year
- Proof of income, i.e. social security, pension, interest, work, etc.
Please call the Unified Government Clerk's Office at 913-573-5260 if you have any questions.
|City Clerk's Office
||8:00 am to 5:00 pm
||P: (913) 573-5260
|701 N 7th Street
||Monday - Friday
||F: (913) 573-5299
||P: (913) 573-5263
|Kansas City, KS 66101
||P: (913) 573-8039