Glossary of Terms
701 North 7th Street, Suite 421
Office Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Local Business Enterprise (LBE): Businesses headquartered or that maintain a major branch that performs the significant functions of the business in Wyandotte County, Kansas, or businesses of which at least 51% of the stock, equity or beneficial interest is owned, held, or controlled and whose day-to-day management is under the control of an individual residing in Wyandotte County, Kansas. There isn't any certification process for LBE. This status is determined by the address information listed in your registration.
Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)*: Any business/enterprise that is at least 51 percent owned by, or in the case of a publicly owned business at least 51 percent of the stock is owned by, citizens or permanent resident aliens who are:
- Black persons having origins in any of the black African racial groups not of Hispanic origin;
- Hispanic persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Central or South American descent of either Indian or Hispanic origin, regardless of race
- Asian and Pacific Islander persons having origins in any of the Far East countries, Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent or the Pacific Islands;
- Native American or Alaskan native persons having origins in any of the original peoples of North America
Woman Business Enterprise (WBE)*: Any business/enterprise that is at least 51 percent owned by, or in the case of a publicly owned business at least 51 percent of the stock is owned by, citizens or permanent resident aliens who are women.
* Note: A firm must be certified by one of the following agencies to be recognized as an M/WBE by the Unified Government. Certification from other reputable agencies may be accepted by the Contract Compliance Department. M/WBE certification is not required to do business with the U.G.