Top Red Bar
Home > Departments > Treasury


Motor Vehicle Frequently Asked Questions 

What hours are you open?
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Where are you located?We have two locations:710 N. Seventh Ste. 240, Street Kansas City, Kansas (downtown area)
8200 State Ave. Kansas City, Kansas (western area)

Which types of payments do you accept?We accept checks honored through Check-Care, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, cash and money orders.
Make checks payable to "Unified Treasury".

Can I purchase a temporary permit since my plate is expired?No. You must renew the license plate. Temporary permits are allowed for newly-purchased vehicles only.

How long may I drive a newly-purchased vehicle before registering it?You are allowed 30 days from the date of purchase (or any title change) to register. However, you must have either a temporary permit or a plate transfer from an old vehicle.

How long may I drive my vehicle after moving to Wyandotte County before registering it?
The law allows 90 days for vehicles legally registered in a former state to be registered in Kansas.

Can someone else register my vehicle for me?Yes. You must complete the Power of Attorney form.

How do I apply for a duplicate title?
For a Kansas title, you must come into the office with proper identification, vehicle identification number, current mileage, and current taxes paid. Title will be mailed within six weeks. Contact the out-of-state Motor Vehicle Department for other state's titles.

Can I get a title faster than six weeks?If you notify the clerk you wish to hand-carry the work, you may pick up the title in Topeka the next working day.


Background Piece Background Piece