Neighborhood Resource Center
Anthony Hutchingson, Chief Building Inspector
4953 State Ave.
Kansas City, KS 66102
Office Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8 am to 5:00 pm
The Unified Government’s Building Inspection Department improves the quality of life for citizens in the jurisdiction of the unified portion of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas by ensuring compliance with established construction standards.
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to:
- change the occupancy of a building or structure
- demolish, or
- replace any system; electrical, mechanical, plumbing
or to cause any such work to be done which is regulated by this code, shall first make application to The Division of Building Inspection, or Developmental Review Committee, and obtain the required permits. The UG has adopted the following codes and ordinances:
**NEW** Effective April 1, 2012, Unified Government has adopted the following codes and ordinances:
- 2009 International Residential Code
- 2009 International Building Code
- 2009 International Mechanical Code
- 2009 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2008 National Electrical Code
- 2009 International Fire Code
- 2009 International Energy Code
- 2009 International Property Maintenance Code
- Current NFPA Life Safety Code
- Ordinances of the United Government of Wyandotte County / Kansas City, Kansas
To access additional information regarding acquiring permit applications for demolition, commercial or residential use, select the appropriate link below. DRC reviews new commercial development, additions,occupancy changes, commercial pools, and exterior renovations. All other permits are reviewed with Building Inspections.