Motor Vehicle Auto Licensing

Location: Director: Hours: Contact:
710 N 7th St, Suite 240
Kansas City, KS
Richard Mikesic Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 5:00PM Cut Off 2:00PM: M, F - Cut Off 3:30PM: T, W, Th
P: (913) 573-2821 F: (913) 573-2890 E: Email
Renewing License Plates

Note: An additional $5 fee will be charged for all renewals processed as walk-ins to either Treasury Office.

Avoid this fee and renew by:

**Kansas Department of Revenue is discontinuing the use of ksWebTags to process On-line Renewals; Effective 4/1/18. Wyandotte County's On-line Renewals will now be directed to iKan for processing. The 'On-Line Renewal' link will still take you to the correct site for processing.

To renew  your license plate for a truck weighing less than 12,000 pounds, a car, motorcycle, or motorized bicycle. You will need all of the following information:
  • Renewal Form
  • Proof of Kansas Insurance
  • Payment
  • Previous year’s registration, current renewal notice, or license plate number
Owners must register the vehicle in the local County Treasurer’s Office in which the vehicle is housed. (Military and full-time college students may register at either their legal residence or where they are stationed.) Vehicles registered in another state must re-register the vehicle.

Special plates may require an additional form. Such as; disabled plate require a recertification form (3) years, Educational Institute plate and Children’s Trust plate require the paid receipt letter from the institution every year, and National Guard plates require their National Guide ID when renewing.

Special Plates

Vehicles must be registered before application can be made. License plate registered to vehicle must be surrendered with proof of insurance at delivery time. Special plates are delivered to the Treasurer’s Office within (8) weeks from order date.
  • Personalized Plates
    $46: (7) letters and/or numbers are allowed. No dashes or quotations allowed.
  • Disabled Personalized Plates
    Allows room for (5) letters and/or numbers.
  • Antique Personalized Plate
    (Only (1) plate issued) $43.50. (7) letters and/or numbers are allowed. Vehicle must be (35) years old or older and registered as an antique.
  • Amateur Radio Operator (ARO)
    $1.50 at time of order. Copy of ARO license required.
  • Special Interest Plate
    You must first become a collector with the state of Kansas $23. Once you receive your collector number, then you order the SI plate for $16.50. The vehicle must be (20) years or older and NOT modified.
  • Street Rod Plate
    You must first become a collector with the state of Kansas $23. Once you receive your collector number, then you order the Street Rod plate. Same as the Special Interest plate but the Street Rod must be (20) years or older and can be modified.

Transfer of License Plates

New vehicle(s) must be registered in same name as old vehicle(s). Names allowed to be added are: parents, spouse, legal age child. Any other name being added requires the purchase of new plates and the old plates may be surrendered for a refund.

The new vehicle must have one owner in common and have the same renewal month to transfer a plate.

Provide the following information:
  • Current Kansas Registration (If you do not have a copy, you will be charged $1.00 at time of registration)
  • Name of purchaser for old vehicle 
  • Social Security number or ITIN

 Lost or Stolen License Plates

Contact the Police Department to report the lost/stolen plate. A Police Report Case Number is required when replacing the plate.

The registered owner provides proper identification (driver’s license), current proof of insurance, and either the registration, title, or plate number which was lost/ stolen. The fee is $3 - $3.50. A Power of Attorney form would need to be completed for another individual to pick up a new plate for the owner.