County Division

Assessment Roll

Assessment Roll Mailing Address Modifications:

Statutorily the Unified Government Clerk is responsible for the integrity of the assessment roll. To ensure your property tax bill is sent to the correct address.

Telephone requests will no longer be accepted.

A completed Tax Mailing Address Change Form should be sent to:

  • Unified Government of Kansas City, KS
  • Department of Administration- Clerks Division

The option to submit a form electronically (by fax or email attachment) or by regular mail is available when the notary section of this form is completed. This option works well for out-of-town requests as well as for home-bound constituents. Bring the completed form into an accepting UG WYCO office (A list of accepting offices is available on the form).

A formal picture ID (driver’s license or State ID) is required.

A photocopy of your ID will be made for our files. All information should be printed legibly to ensure accuracy. Instructions for completing this document can be found on the form.

Additional Information:
Call:  County Cleark's Office: (913) 573-2876, 0

Gaming Permits

Kansas Wildlife Parks Fish and Game Permits:

See Kansas Wildlife, Parks & Tourism to purchase licenses online (Quick Links menu) and for additional information. Citizens wanting to learn more about hunting regulations or boat registration for the State of Kansas should contact :

For information specific to Wyandotte County, see the Rules & Regulations for fishing in Wyandotte County.

Locations to purchase State Hunting & Fishing Licenses/Permits in Wyandotte County

All annual hunting licenses can be purchased online by clicking here or through all licensed agents, or the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks offices. The County Clerk’s office also sells fish and game permits upon request through the new automated system. Both residents and non-residents are charged a $1.50 processing fee in addition to the fees imposed by the Kansas Fish & Game Department.

Fishing and Hunting licenses are to be filled out according to the instructions on the permit. A photo ID is required at time of purchase. Customer receives the white copy as proof of purchase. It is Kansas Law that this information be on your person while participating in the sport you are licensed for. HIP (Habitat Improvement Program), trout and waterfowl stamps are also available through the Clerk’s office. The cost is $1.00 plus the process fee.

Parking permits to State Parks can be purchased at:

Kansas Wildlife & Parks District Office (KWPDO)

8304 Hedge Lane Terrace, Shawnee, KS 66227

P: (913) 422-1314

Throughout the state during 2014, depending on the first letter of your last name; conversions took place to allow parking permits to be purchased in the same locations as a person’s vehicle tags. Parking permits can be purchased at the time of tag registration or renewal and are good for (1) year. If you desire to purchase a permit at any time other than when receiving your tags, you would have to contact the KWPDO.

Applications and Fees for the State of Kansas Licenses

Residents (*) age (16 - 74) must have a resident license in possession while fishing in Kansas, unless exempt by law. All nonresidents (16 +) must have a valid nonresident license to fish in Kansas. All licenses expire December 31st each year, except (5) day, lifetime, and 24-hour fishing licenses.

Since January 1st, 2014, Kansas residents age 65 - 74 have been required to have hunting and/or fishing license. A reduced price lifetime combination hunting/fishing license or a half price annual fishing, annual hunting, or combination annual license has been available for purchase since December 14th, 2013.

Purchase a Federal Water Fowl Stamp locally at:

Kansas Wildlife & Parks District Office

8304 Hedge Lane Terrace, Shawnee, KS 66227

P: (913) 422-1314

Prior to purchasing this stamp you must also have a State Hunting Permit and a Harvest Information Permit (HIP). These requirements can all be met at the Shawnee office. Please review other options for purchasing the Duck Stamp on the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service website. E-Stamps are also available for purchase in some States. While other locations may offer this stamp, we have not been made aware of these locations at this time. For more information see Kansas Wildlife, Parks, and Tourism Regulations.

Legal Kansas residents who have been separated from the armed services under honorable conditions and have a disability certified by the Kansas Commission on Veterans Affairs as being service-connected and such disability is equal to or greater than 30% may apply through the Pratt Operations Office for free hunting and fishing licenses (not applicable for park permits). Applications are also available here.

(*) Residency is defined as living in the state for (60) days immediately prior to purchase, except for lifetime licenses, which require (1) year.

To receive/request a Kansas Fishing Regulations Summary & annual booklet contact:

Clerk’s Office: P: (913) 573-2876, 0   |   Email

The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism has introduced two new licensing improvements:

  • 365-day Licenses – a number of select annual licenses and permits are valid for 365 days from date of purchase (as opposed to expiring Dec.31 of each calendar year). This means our customers will now get more time afield for their money, and a complete years’ worth of coverage, regardless of when they buy.
  • Auto-renew – Select licenses and permits are now eligible to be auto-renewed when purchased on our online licensing website. There’s no cost to sign up, customers can opt-in and opt-out at any time, and we’ll even send them a reminder before their annual purchase is made.

Homestead Refund

During the tax season, the Clerk’s Office is available to assist the public:
Monday - Friday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM

The Homestead Refund is a real estate tax rebate program for homeowners who meet the qualifications.  Refund rebates are based on the total household income of the owner and all persons occupying the homestead for the tax year under review. Based on the information provided, the refund amount is calculated using a refund percentage times the real estate taxes assessed for the tax year. The maximum Homestead Refund is $700. The Clerk’s Office offers application assistance to homeowners meeting the program’s guidelines. This refund program is not available to renters. 

To see income guidelines as well as the requirements for this program, please see the Kansas Department of Revenue, Homestead Refund page. 

For frequently asked questions concerning the Homestead Refund Program, please see Frequently Asked Questions About Homestead

Homestead Refund Advancement Program

This program provides eligible homeowners with an opportunity to directly apply a portion of their expected Homestead Property Tax Refund toward the first half of their real estate taxes.

There is an option on Form K-40H which offers the homeowner a choice of, “Participation in Refund Advancement”. When this box is checked, an amount to cover up to the first half of the next year’s tax bill, which is due by December 10th, is removed from the tax refund and sent directly from the Kansas Department of Revenue to the County Treasurer. 

If you do not check this box, the homeowner is responsible for paying the 1st and 2nd half of their taxes by the appropriate due dates. The 2nd half of the tax statement is due by May 10th. 

If the application indicates a property has delinquent taxes, the entire Homestead refund amount is subject to be sent from the Kansas Department of Revenue directly to the County to pay these taxes. 

Additional information:

Call: County Clerk’s Office: (913) 573-2876, 0 . We assist homeowners with their applications January 1st - April 15th, or the end of the tax season each year. 

Real Estate Ownership

Deed Requirements:

  • An original deed must be on file with the Register of Deeds Office
  • The legal description located on the deed should describe the actual parcel of land as well as match the information in the Tax Administration System (TAS)
  • The deed must be notarized with the month, date, and year of notarization and notary’s signature must be legible
  • Notary expiration date must be valid and date the document is notarized cannot exceed notary’s expiration date
  • Grantor (current property owner) must match the information listed in the TAS.
  • Documents will be rejected if names on original deed do not match tax roll records
  • Grantee (recipient of the property) information will be entered exactly as it appears on the deed

SAFE Senior Tax Refund

COVID-19 Updates:
Senior Citizen Refund Programs The Clerks Office understands we are in a season of assisting our residents with applications for various Senior Citizen Rebates.  The Clerks Office of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas is announcing operational changes as of March 16th, 2020 in response to COVID-19:
• Senior Citizens’ Utility Tax and KCKS City Sales Tax Refund Programs were in effect through March 31, 2020.  • Filing for the Homestead Property and Safe Senior Tax Refunds has been extended and is available through October 15th, 2020 by way of Executive Order NO. 20-13 signed by Gov. Laura Kelly on March 23, 2020. While these programs require this information to be walked into the office, in response to COVID-19, we are making an exception and during this period we are accepting Homestead/Safe Senior documents to be mailed to us from all Wyandotte County citizens by way of regular USPS mail, by fax to 913-573-5005, or by scanning and emailing your information to us at Meeting the following criteria, all mail-ins along with supporting documentation must be postmarked no later than Thursday, October 15th, 2020.

During the tax season, the Clerk’s Office is available to assist the public:
Monday - Friday: 8:30AM - 4:30PM

SAFE SENIOR is a property tax refund program administered under the provisions of the Kansas Homestead Act (property tax refund); and is available on Form K-40PT. SAFE SENIOR is also referred to as, "Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors". This refund is a percentage of the tax year’s general property tax paid or to be paid - as shown on the annual real estate tax statement for the residence in which the claimant lived. To see income guidelines as well as the requirements for this program, please see the SAFE SENIOR - Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors section on the Kansas Department of Revenue, Homestead Refund page. Claimants who receive this property tax refund cannot claim a Homestead refund.

For frequently asked questions concerning the Safe Senior Refund Program, please see Kansas Property Tax Relief for Low Income Seniors - Frequently Asked Questions.

Safe Senior Refund Advancement Program

This program provides eligible homeowners with the opportunity to apply a portion of their anticipated Safe Senior refund towards first half of their property tax.

There is a question on Form K-40PT asking the homeowner whether they want their next year’s homestead advancement sent directly to their County Treasurer. If the box is checked, the following year’s homestead advancement will be sent directly from Kansas Department of Revenue to the County Treasurer. This eliminates the need for the homestead claimant to physically deliver the homestead eligibility letter to the County Treasurer.

If this box is not checked, you cannot participate in the homestead advancement program, and none of your homestead refund will be used to pay property taxes.

Additional Information:

Call: County Clerk’s Office: (913) 573-2876 or (913) 573-5260.

We are available to assist homeowners with the Kansas Homestead and Kansas Food Sales Tax forms between January 1st and April 15th, or the end of the tax season, each year.