Open Records Request


The Kansas Open Records Act(PDF, 17KB)  (KORA) grants you the right to inspect and obtain copies of public records created or maintained by public agencies in Kansas. The Open Records Act, K.S.A. 45-215, et seq., as amended, declares that it is the public policy of Kansas that “public records shall be open for inspection by any person.” Public records are defined as “any recorded information, regardless of form or characteristics, which is made, maintained or kept by or is in the possession of any public agency.” The Unified Government Clerk’s office is classified as a public agency for the purposes of this Act.

Submit Open Records Request Here


Your Rights

You have the right to:

  • Request assistance from the agency’s Freedom of Information Officer at any time. The Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, KS Officer is UG Clerk Bridgette Cobbins.
  • Obtain a copy of the agency’s KORA form, brochure and certification.
  • Receive a written response to your request within three business days. The response may inform you that it will take additional time to produce the records.
  • Inspect and obtain copies of public records which are not exempted from disclosure by a specific law.
  • File a complaint with the Kansas Attorney General if you feel your request for public records is wrongfully denied.

Your Responsibilities

You must request existing records – written, photographic, or computerized. The Kansas Open Records Act does not require an agency to answer questions or prepare reports.

Reasonable fees, not exceeding actual cost, may be charged for access to records, copies of records, and staff time for processing your request. (See “Associated Charges”)

If you request a public record that contains names and addresses, you will be required to certify that you will not use those names and addresses for any prohibited purpose. If you knowingly make a false certification that you would not use the names and addresses for any prohibited purposes, you could be subject to a civil penalty of up to $500 for each violation.

Questions about Records

Contact the UG’s Clerks office, 701 N. 7th Street, Suite 323, Kansas City, KS 66101; (913) 573-5260, to ask questions about the Kansas Open Records Act(PDF, 17KB) , or to obtain assistance.

Delayed and/or Denied Requests

All efforts will be made to process your request for public records as soon as it is received; however, some requests may be delayed or denied if:

  • More information is needed in order to retrieve the records;
  • Legal issues must be addressed before the records are released;
  • The requested records are archived or stored off site;
  • The volume of records requested is large and will take time to duplicate.

Requests may be denied in whole or in part if:

  • The requested record does not exist;
  • The requested record is exempt from disclosure by law;
  • The request is unclear and more information is needed.

If the request is delayed or denied, you will receive a written explanation for the delay or denial within three business days as outlined under “Your Rights.” You may be requested to provide additional information if access to public records or the purpose for which the records are to be used is limited by state law.

Permission to inspect or copy public records may be denied if:

  • The request “places an unreasonable burden in producing public records”; or
  • The custodian of the records “has reason to believe that repeated requests are intended to disrupt other essential functions of the public agency.”
  • Denial of a person’s inspection or copying request must be explained in writing if the person requests such an explanation.

Exceptions to the Open Records Act

The Kansas Open Records Act recognizes that certain records contain private or privileged information. The Act lists several exceptions. A complete list of exceptions can be found in K.S.A. 45-221