Sales Tax and Utility rebates are offered to eligible citizens who live in Kansas City, Kansas for a portion of their BPU, Gas or AT&T utility bills and/or have paid sales tax.
Homestead Rebates are offered to eligible citizens who live in Wyandotte County, Kansas for a portion of their property taxes.
Residents of Kansas City, Kansas with a birthday before January 1, 1957, can apply for a Utility and/or Sales Tax Rebate. If you live in Bonner Springs or Edwardsville, these rebates will not be available.
If you answer yes to all of these questions, one or both of these rebates could be available to you:
You can only apply for the Utility and/or Sales Tax rebates from January 3 through March 31 of every year.
1. Your contact information (full name, complete home address, date of birth and telephone number). If you want your check mailed to a different address, please provide the mailing address and mark separately as your preferred mailing address.
2. Proof of income for you and your spouse for all of 2022. Documents accepted are:
3. If you pay BPU, Kansas Gas, Atmos Gas or AT&T landline bills, you will need copies of your previous year's utility bills. You can obtain copies of your BPU bills by calling BPU. Be sure you tell them you are applying for the Utility Rebate.
Mail your documents to the Clerk's Office. We will return your original documents to you.
Bring your information to the Clerk's Office between 8:30 AM and 4:00 PM. Monday through Friday on a walk-in basis. You may also make an appointment at one of our various sites throughout the County by calling our 3-1-1 line. Transportation will be provided at no charge to the applicant. Dates and times are listed below:
The Clerk's Office will process your application and mail you a copy for your records within (5) business days of our receipt.
You should receive your rebate check from the Unified Government approximately 4 - 6 weeks after your application has been processed.
If you own and live in your home, you can apply to have a portion of your real estate taxes refunded back to you from the State of Kansas.
You can apply for the Homestead/Safe Senior/Disabled Veterans rebates from January 2 through April 15 of each year.
If you file a tax return, the Clerk's Office cannot file a Homestead/Safe Senior/Disabled Veterans claim on your behalf. If you miss the filing deadline, you must contact the Kansas Department of Revenue at (785) 368-8222 to obtain authority to file a late return.
2. Proof of income for all persons living in your home for all of 2022. Documents accepted are:
3. A copy of your most recent real estate tax statement.
4. The amount of your previous year's homestead/safe senior refund.
5. Your Homestead/Safe Senior/Disabled Veterans rebate can be directly deposited into your bank account. Please provide a copy of a bank deposit form that includes your account number and bank routing number.
You can mail your documents to the Clerk's Office. We will return your original documents to you.
Applications will be processed in Bonner Springs and Edwardsville by Community Health Workers. Please contact the appropriate City Hall for hours available.
You should receive your rebate from the State of Kansas approximately 4 - 6 weeks after your application has been processed.
The Advancement program applies to your Homestead/Safe Senior rebate. This program provides eligible homeowners with the opportunity to apply a portion of their anticipated Homestead refund to help pay the first half of their property tax each year. This advancement from the State is received in January at the Treasurer's Office on behalf of those taxpayers that qualified for a homestead tax refund the previous year and elected to participate in the program. It allows the taxpayer a credit to be used against the payment of their first half of real estate taxes. These tax payments are due December 20.
The Neighborhood Revitalization Act (NRA) program is a percentage rebate of the additional taxes paid because of a qualified improvement based on construction cost for a set period of time. The rebate applies only to the additional taxes resulting from the increase in the assessed value of the property.
Read More About the Neighborhood Revitalization Act
The Board of Public Utilities has several rebate programs. Please visit their website for more information.
Board of Public Utilities
This form is not for service requests. For immediate assistance, dial 3-1-1.