Business License

Business License


  • The enforcement of various Unified Government licensing & taxing ordinances, and;
  • The billing, collection, and processing of fees prescribed by these ordinances.

Although the name would indicate that business licenses are the primary function, the reality is that processing licenses only accounts for 20% of division efforts while the collection and processing of annual Occupation Taxes represents the majority of the duties.

All businesses located in Kansas City, KS, and those businesses that come into the city to conduct or perform their business, and those businesses conducting sales and services in the city, do need to register and file the occupation tax application for the specific business activity being conducted. There are a few limited and specific exemptions with regard to paying the occupation tax, but all business entities would still file the application, and be noted with the applicable exemption.

Some activities do require a regulatory license or permit: in addition to the occupation tax.

Our processes are fairly quick, simple, and straightforward. While there may be approval steps required in the process, they are neither complex nor cumbersome and our staff is available for any assistance that might be needed. A business can usually accomplish our process on their own with little difficulty and there is no need to pay a third-party company for forms and assistance that we provide at no cost.

Staff is available for questions, guidance, and assistance. Do not hesitate to contact us at (913) 573-8780.

Additional Information

Required Inspections & Approvals

Planning & Zoning

For all businesses physically located in Kansas City, KS, whether at commercial or residential property, the first step is always planning and zoning approval. Submitted through our office, planning and zoning will determine that the business activity is appropriate and within the permitted uses for that district zoning. For those who operate a business from home, there are restrictions on the type of activities that would be allowed and standards by which a business would need to operate. These restrictions are intended to help preserve and maintain property values. (I should not be allowed carte blanche to engage in an activity at my home that would negatively affect my neighbor’s property value)

Building Inspection

Building Inspection will conduct on-site inspection for all businesses physically located at commercial locations. This is a basic life-safety inspection to determine the location is safe for owners, employees, customers, vendors, etc. to enter and occupy. Building inspection can usually be scheduled next business day after planning and zoning has approved the business activity. All utilities do need to be connected and on for this inspection to take place.

Fire Inspection

While annual fire inspections do occur across all businesses, some activities require fire inspection & approval prior to the business opening. These are fire safety inspections usually relating to egress or fire suppression. (examples are restaurants with open grills or deep fryers, daycares, salvage yards, welding operations) This inspection is scheduled direct with the fire inspector’s office. All fireworks activity is subject to fire inspection approval.

Health Inspection

Some business activities (mostly related to lodging, food and consumables) require health inspection & approval prior to the business opening. Some inspections are conducted through the local health department, while others are conducted through the State of Kansas Department of Agriculture. Those inspections would be scheduled direct with the inspecting authority.

Police Department

Regulatory licenses that require background check and approval are submitted through our office (examples are establishments serving alcohol, massage establishments, security companies). We forward the application to the police department for background checks and police chief approval. After approval the license would be issued.

Annually Regulated Licenses & Permits

See Licenses

Temporary Licenses & Permits

See Licenses

Business Entity Types & Activities

No Prior Business Record in KCK

There are varying requirements between business entity types and activities.

Non-Construction Business Activities

This page is still being developed. To make application, contact our office at (913) 573-8780. We will help determine what additional requirements may be necessary and forward the business application.

Contractors & Construction Trades