Programs & Initiatives

ADA Curb Ramp Program

The Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, KS is dedicated to providing safe and accessible routes of travel in our community for people of varying abilities. 

Each year, the Public Works Department constructs new curb ramps and upgrades existing curb ramps to make sidewalks and streets more accessible and to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).  

As part of its Curb Ramp and Sidewalk Improvement Program, the Public Works Department accepts requests from persons with disabilities to construct or upgrade curb ramps at specific locations and endeavors to prioritize those requests for the earliest feasible construction. 

To request the installation or upgrade of a curb ramp at a specific location, see Curb Ramp Request Form.(DOC, 175KB)

Submit the form by fax, mail, email, or phone call to Public Works at:

P: (913) 573-5700   |   F: (913) 573-5727   |   Email
Unified Government of WyCo/KCK,
Department of Public Works
701 N 7th St, Suite 712
Kansas City, KS  66101

Priority will be given to locations that complete an accessible route for specific individuals in need or that give improved access to government offices and facilities, transportation, places of public accommodation, or employers.

Implementation of requests depends on project funding and feasibility.  Other factors being equal, requests are evaluated on a first-come, first-served basis. Construction of or upgrades to curb ramps may be scheduled in conjunction with other street or sidewalk improvement projects.  There is no guarantee that curb ramps will be constructed or upgraded at any specific location. 

The curb ramp request program is one part of the Public Works Department’s outreach and participation program. Click here for a copy of our current Public Outreach Plan(PDF, 234KB) for curb ramp and sidewalk improvements. You can also access additional ADA related information from the UG's Department of Human Services.

FOG Program

Water Pollution Control Documents


  • FOG Notebook Contents
  • Hauled Wastewater General Policy (effective 01-01-2014)
  • Industrial Annual Report Package
  • Industrial Semi- Annual Report Package
  • Industrial Wastewater Permit Application


  • Annual Report Package
  • 2015 Semi-Annual Report Package 2nd Half
  • 2015 FOG Packet


Home Sewer Repair Plans

The Unified Government has partnered with HomeServe USA to offer home repair plans that help protect you from the expense and inconvenience of sewer line emergencies. HomeServe USA, a Better Business Bureau Accredited Business, serves over 2 million homeowners in the U.S. and Canada and dedicates itself to being a customer-focused company providing best-in-class emergency repair plans. Visit HomeServe for more information.

Emergency home repairs can be costly and time-consuming and many homeowners are unaware that they are responsible for repairs to the systems on their property. With low-cost repair plans from HomeServe, you can get access to a 24/7 hotline where you can schedule a repair for your home’s plumbing system and all covered repairs are guaranteed for one year.

Signing up is as easy as 1-2-3:

  1. Visit the HomeServe website for Wyandotte County Customers to see which plans are available for your home.
  2. Add plans to your cart.
  3. Enter your contact and payment information and complete checkout!

Check out the various repair plans offered by HomeServe today!

Sign Up   
Important Questions & Answers about HomeServe USA: 

Who is HomeServe?  
HomeServe is an independent company, separate from the Kansas City Board of Public Utilities and the Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas, providing emergency home repair services and protection solutions to homeowners across the U.S. If you have questions about this mailing or to be removed from our mailing list, call 1-866-219-2162. 

What am I responsible for?  
As a homeowner, you are responsible for the exterior sewer/septic service line from the sewer main connection to the foundation wall. 

Does my homeowners insurance cover this?  
Most basic homeowners insurance policies do not cover repair or replacement of the exterior sewer/septic service line. 

When can I make a service call?
Your plan starts the day your form is processed, and there is an initial 30-day waiting period before you can make a service call, giving you 11 months of coverage during the first year. Upon renewal/reactivation (if applicable), you will not be subject to a waiting period.

What quality of repair can I expect?  
Local, licensed and insured plumbers perform all covered repairs, which are guaranteed against defects in materials and workmanship for one year. 

Overflow Control Program

Integrated Overflow Control Plan  

Ever wonder what happens after you flush?

The Unified Government of Wyandotte County / Kansas City, Kansas has a complex system of pipes and treatment facilities that transport and treat wastewater generated by over 110,000 customers. Wastewater is the used water and sewage that goes down toilets, sinks, and drains in homes and businesses.

As in most communities, wastewater is collected by an extensive system of pipes, and transported to a treatment plant where it is treated and discharged to a river or stream. 

Sidewalk & Curb Rehabilitation Incentive Program

Want to repair the curb or sidewalk in front of your home but need some help? Look no further! Public Works' Sidewalk & Curb Rehabilitation Incentive program is here to help!

Who is Eligible?
Anyone living in Kansas City, Kansas can apply. The property where work is performed must not be tax delinquent.

When can I apply?
You can apply for assistance at any time. Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis until yearly funding is all used up.

How much can I be reimbursed through this program?
The Unified Government will pay a qualified contractor approximately 50% of the average cost for sidewalk and/or curb replacement for permitted and inspected work. The property owner or resident is responsible for the remaining amount.
Do I have to use a contractor?
Yes. All curb repair and/or replacement must be performed by a Unified Government licensed contractor.

Ready to get started?
Follow the link below to download the Sidewalk & Curb Rehabilitation Incentive Program policy and application. Download a copy of the application.

Stormwater Quality Program

Safe Routes to School Program

The Safe Routes to School program in Wyandotte County is growing!
We have launched walking programs at 5 new schools in 2017. This means that nearly 250 students at 11 schools are participating in walking programs! We have also expanded our partner organizations and are thankful for their help in creating safer, more active, and connected neighborhoods.
Did you know that a 1 mile walk to school and back is two-thirds of the daily recommended 60 minutes of physical activity for kids? Additionally, when children get physical activity before class, they perform better in the classroom, they are more on task, and fidget less. This is one of the many reasons why Wyandotte County invests in Safe Routes to School!  

Visit Safe Routes to School National Partnership  website for more information.