Commercial & Industrial

Photograph of a Water Pollution Control work truckOur local businesses are vital to Wyandotte County, and Water Pollution Control is committed to meeting your needs while continuing to prioritize public health and the environment.

Permits, Forms & Billing Information

Fats, Oils & Grease (FOG)

Multiple types of businesses are required to have a Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) permit:

  • Businesses which prepare food for consumption by non-family members.
  • Businesses having a grease trap and/or grease interceptor.
  • Businesses selling pre-packaged food items (with no on-site preparation or clean-up).
  • These businesses may be removed from the program after requesting an inspection and getting verification.

Currently, there is no permit application or fee. FOG permits are renewed annually automatically.

Reporting Requirements

If a business has a grease trap and/or grease interceptor, the following must be submitted:

You may request a waiver or exemption from the quarterly cleaning and reporting to semi-annual or annual. Granting of waivers does require an inspection to verify or submittal of documentation from the prior cleaning company.


Monthly business rates are generated by Water Pollution Control and sent to the Board of Public Utilities (BPU) for inclusion with your BPU bill. These rates may include surcharges for discharge of Chemical Oxygen Demand, Oil & Grease, or Total Suspended Solids over the anticipated discharge from a residential customer.

Charges for services provided by Water Pollution Control are labeled as Wastewater on your BPU bill.

The document below is provided by BPU to help you understand your bill. To print this document, click the printer icon in the right corner.

Non-Sewered Water Credit Policy

Non-residential facilities may apply for reduction in the Water Pollution Abatement if water purchased from BPU does not reach Wyandotte County’s sewer system. Types of non-sewered water may include water that is used for:

  • Cooling tower/evaporation
  • In-process water
  • Irrigation
  • Effluent meter (all discharged wastewater is metered at the point of entry to the sewer system)

Requirements to keep Non-Sewered Water Credit:

  • At least annual meter calibration with verification sent to WPC.
  • Periodic reporting of meter readings (monthly preferred, but a minimum of 1 report per calendar year is required).

Non-residential facilities that have water sources other than BPU (on-site wells, for example) will be included in the Policy.

Commercial vs. Industrial

Commercial customers are billed based on the amount of water purchased from BPU. It is assumed that 100 percent of the water purchased is released into the sewer system. This assumption applies to all non-permitted industrial users.

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of customer am I?

There are four customer types:

  1. Residential Customers, BPU Class 080
  2. Low-Pressure Sewer System Customers, CPU Class 080A
  3. Commercial Customers, BPU Class 081
  4. Industrial Customers, BPU Class 083

What is the Non-Sewered Water Credit Policy?

Non-residential facilities may apply for a reduction in the Water Pollution Abatement (Wastewater user fee) if water purchased from BPU does not reach Wyandotte County’s sewer system.

Is there a FOG permit application or fee?

Currently, there is no permit application or fee. FOG permits are renewed annually automatically.

What are the requirements for hauled wastewater?

Any company which transports hauled wastewater must:

  1. Have a current Occupation License issued by the Wyandotte County Business License Division (This includes a minimum bond in the amount of $5,000.00).

  2. Have each vehicle inspected and permitted by the Wyandotte County Health Department.

In addition, if you wish to use the disposal facility in Wyandotte County, the company must have valid activation code(s) issued by Water Pollution Control for each vehicle.

What is an Illicit Discharge?

An illicit discharge is defined in the Code of Ordinances as: . . . any discharge to a municipal separate storm sewer system that is not composed entirely of stormwater, except discharges pursuant to a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit.