Commercial Vehicle Registration

Commercial Vehicle Icon

Wyandotte County, KS -  Due to the limited number of transactions handled by the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, KS annually, the State of Kansas will begin processing all Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) registrations directly, starting January 1, 2022. The Unified Government has been processing these transactions via appointment-only services and have been working with customers to help them transition to the online application. We are making this change due to the relatively low volume of transactions, challenges with staffing, and the desire to improve customer service for Wyandotte County residents.


The registration process is one that can be overwhelming. Even though we are not longer completing this process at the Wyandotte County Treasury Office we hope that you will find this information helpful to get your task completed. 

Start at the Kansas Website for Registration 

  1. Start by going to Kansas Department of Revenue
  2. Choose "Division of Vehicles" menu; click on “Commercial Motor Vehicle”.
  3. Click the third link down “KCoVRS – Kansas Commercial Vehicle Registration System”. This will open up a new window where you will login into the system.

Set Your Password 

If you have not used the site in the past 30 days, you will need to use the “Forgot your password” feature and follow steps to reset your password. ** If you try your password 3 times you will be locked out. Please Call 785-296-3621

Complete the Process Online

After logging into the system, select menu option Applications -> IRP & CMV

Follow the process 

Drop Your Packet In the Mail 

Make sure you include; 

 Signed invoice page

 Current Stamped 2290

 Must be in vehicle owner’s name or must have lease agreement noting responsible party

 UCR / Insurance

 Lease Agreement (If applicable)

 Be sure your MCS-150 has been updated within last 2 years

 Deleted Vehicle


  • Bill of sale, Invoice, Copy of assigned title
  • Current registration
  • Out of state registration
  • Plates 

Commercial Motor Vehicle Office 300 SW 29th St. Topeka, KS 66611 Make checks payable to: Kansas Department of Revenue.

Detailed Instruction Sheet(PDF, 1MB)




What qualifies

A commercial vehicle is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle engaged in commerce that is used to transport property or passengers when the vehicle:

  • Has a gross vehicle weight or gross combination vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
  • Is designed or used to transport 15 or more passengers, including the driver;
  • Is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

Your vehicles are operating commercially if any of the following apply to you:

  • Money earned is declared as income from a business for tax purposes;
  • Costs for the underlying activities are deducted as a business expense for tax purposes;
  • Products and/or money is accepted for advertising a sponsor;
  • The transport vehicle is being used in the furtherance of a commercial operation.


Renew my CMV

If you need to renew your Commercial Motor Vehicle registration, please go to, click on “Division of Vehicles” and then “Commercial Motor Vehicle.”

 If you have any questions, please contact 785-296-3621, Option 2 then Option 2 again.