Exhibits

The Original Kansas City, Kansas 150th Anniversary Exhibit - October 1 until February 18th.  

On October 22, 1872, Kansas City, Kansas was formally incorporated, but at that time it was far from the KCK we think of today. The 150th Anniversary of the city provides a great opportunity to share the story of “The Original Kansas City, Kansas” with the community. This exhibit will feature a series of early maps, facts, and images from the city’s earliest years. It will provide visitors with a glimpse several important stories related the cities early development and growth.

Native American bead hands-on station

Trowbridge & Barker Galleries

Named for Harry Trowbridge, the founding curator/director of the Wyandotte County Museum in 1955, this gallery showcases his archaeological collections of Native American artifacts. Many of these Hopewell artifacts were discovered in the vicinity of 61st Street and Leavenworth Road, which is now a listed archaeological site on both the Register of Historic Kansas Sites and National Register of Historic Places, 14WY1.This gallery also includes many other relics collected by Trowbridge through his archaeological connections and his travels. 

The Barker Gallery looks at the stories of the three immigrant tribes of Wyandotte County; The Shawnee, Delaware and the Wyandot. In the 19th century, these immigrant tribes migrated to the area of present-day Wyandotte County. Highlights of the museum collection on display are a mid-1800s dug-out canoe, the Conley Sisters double-barrel shotgun and the tool chest belonging to James Parr, the first mayor of Wyandotte City (predecessor of Kansas City, KS).

Wyandotte County Heritage Gallery

Wyandotte County Heritage Gallery railroad and industry case

Phase One will tell the story of the county's earliest railroads and industries. It will help visitors understand how Kansas City, Kansas and surrounding communities came to be formed and will highlight stories from our multi-cultural past. Phase Two and Three will continue the story until 2000 and will be completed by 2023.

A huge thank you to the Union Pacific Foundation, the Barton P. and Mary D. Cohen Charitable Trust for their support of this project!