Wyandotte County Back to School Fair Coming Soon!
Key Changes in the 2021 Event Due to COVID-19 Concerns
The 22nd annual Wyandotte County Back to School Fair will be held on Saturday, August 7, 2021 at the former Kmart facility at 7836 State Avenue, from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Due to COVID-19 concerns in the County and the new location for the event, important changes have been made to the structure of the event itself.
The Wyandotte County Back to School Fair is an annual event where Wyandotte County students receive school supplies, backpacks, immunizations, health screenings and other community resources at no cost.
Details About This Year’s Event
One of the key objectives of the Back to School Fair is to provide students with a variety of health-related screenings and services prior to going back to school.
At this year’s Back to School Fair, students can get the following medical services INSIDE the Kmart facility. The following medical services will be provided on a first come, first-served basis:
- Sports physicals and school physicals, provided by the University of Kansas Medical Center Department of Family Medicine
- COVID-19 vaccinations for students 12 and over provided by the Unified Government Public Health Department
- School immunizations for students of all ages, also provided by the Unified Government Public Health Department
- Vision screenings provided by the Lion’s Club of Wyandotte County
- Dental and vision screenings provided by Adventure Dental
To prevent over-crowding inside of the Kmart facility, the following items will be distributed through a drive through located outside of the facility building. Note: items are available for free while supplies last on Saturday, August 7th from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- 2,400 backpacks filled with school supplies, courtesy of the Wyandotte County Back to School Fair Committee
- New books donated by the Kansas City, Kansas Public Library system
- Hygiene kits courtesy of the Kansas City, Kansas Community College
- Dental kits provided by Adventure Dental
Due to COVID-19 concerns in Wyandotte County this year, there will be no additional vendors at this year’s Back to School Fair. However, the Back to School Fair Committee will be providing information on additional vendor resources and services inside the backpacks for students.
The Wyandotte County Back to School Fair Planning Committee is composed of volunteers from various nonprofit and for-profit entities that work together to fundraise and coordinate the activities of the fair.
All support received is used to purchase backpacks and supplemental school supplies. The Planning Committee would also like to thank the following additional sponsors for this year’s Back to School Fair:
- Unified Government – Hollywood Casino/Schlitterbahn Vacation Village Grant Fund
- Kansas City Kansas School Foundation for Excellence
- Kansas City Kansas Community College
- Board of Public Utilities
- Kansas Gas
School and Sports Physicals Also Available from Vibrant Health
In addition to the school and sports physicals provided at the Back to School Fair, Vibrant Health will also offer both sports and school physicals by appointment only on Saturday, August 14. To schedule an appointment and/or get details, call (913) 342-2552
For more information about the event:
Please send media inquiries or questions to:
Sally Behringer (on behalf of the Unified Government Public Health Department)
Saturday, August 07, 2021 | 08:00 AM
- 01:00 PM
Former Kmart Facility, 7836 State Avenue, Kansas City 66112 View Map