Location: Director: Hours: Contact:
City Hall
701 N 7th St, Suite 423
Kansas City, KS
Gunnar Hand, AICP Monday - Friday
8:00AM - 5:00PM
P: (913) 573-5750 F: (913) 573-5796 E: Email
Frequesntly Asked Questions

Why did I get letter from the UG about my property and the floodplains?
What is a Flood Insurance Rate Map?
How can I see the maps?
The letter says my property is near or within the floodplain limits. What does that mean?
How do I tell if my house in the floodplain?
What is the (100) yr floodplain?
When did the maps officially change?
Is this new, or was I in the floodplain before?
What areas were restudied?
Why are the floodplain maps changing?
The updated map shows that my home is in the 100-year floodplain. How can I get more information?
What does this mean for me as a homeowner?
How do I get flood insurance?
Doesn’t my homeowner’s insurance policy cover flooding?
Can you tell me more about flood insurance?
How much will it cost?
What if I already have flood insurance?
Do I have to get flood insurance?
Do I need to purchase flood insurance if I don’t have a mortgage?
Can I get flood insurance if I'm renting?
What other impact does being in the “Special Flood Hazard Area” have on my property?
Can anything be done to fix the flooding?
The maps show that my property is in the floodplain, but I have never flooded. Can I do something to change the maps?
Who do I call with more questions?
I’ve already dealt with this before and have filled out the Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA). Do I need to do anything else?