Top Red Bar
Home > Departments > Clerk

Unified Government Clerk's Office

City Division
Senior Citizen Utility Tax Rebate


The Unified Government offers a utility tax rebate to senior citizens during the first three months of the year. Light Bulb

The program offers senior citizens a rebate on a portion of the amount of utilities paid during the previous year.  Persons applying must meet all three qualifications listed below:

  • Be 65 years of age during the entire tax year
  • Live in Kansas City, KS
  • Total household income must not exceed $25,000 

If you are eligible, your refund will be a total of:

  • Gas franchise tax paid to Kansas Gas or Atmos Energy
  • 90% of water pollution charges
  • 6.9% of water and electricity paid to the Board of Public Utilities
  • Franchise tax (special municipal charge) paid to SBC or AT&T
  •  Refund on city sales tax (based on income)

 The maximum refund is $150.  

Applications will be taken at the Municipal Office Building, 701 N. 7th St., Clerk's Office, Suite 323, Kansas City, KS 66101.  Eligible persons should bring: 

  • All gas, telephone, and BPU bills paid during the tax year
  • Proof of income, i.e. social security, pension, interest, work, etc. 

Please call the Unified Government Clerk's Office at 913-573-5260 if you have any questions.

Line Divider Gray

 UG Logo gif   
City Clerk's Office Hours Bridgette Cobbins Phone Numbers
City Hall 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Clerk P: (913) 573-5260
701 N 7th Street Monday - Friday Email F: (913) 573-5299
Suite 323   Carol Godsil P: (913) 573-5263
Kansas City, KS 66101    Deputy Clerk P: (913) 573-8039

Background Piece Background Piece