WyCo Motor Vehicle Services Open for In-Person Service

1/14/2021 12:00:00 AM

Customers can complete their newly acquired vehicle business in-person at both the Downtown & Annex locations by appointment.

Motor Vehicle Services at Wyandotte County’s Annex (8200 State Avenue) and Downtown (710 North 7th Street) will re-open to in-person service for newly acquired vehicle purchases on January 20, 2021,  by appointment only.

To set an appointment, visit wycokck.org/ugdmvappointments.

The Annex location previously transitioned to appointment-only service to protect the public and staff as part of the county’s on-going COVID-19 response.

“The Treasury team is extremely excited to resume this service for our community and customers.  The pandemic has caused a great deal of frustration for everyone, and we know that many of our customers prefer to do their newly acquired vehicle with the Treasury in-person,” said Rick Mikesic, County Treasurer. “Although we will be re-opening under the guidance of the Public Health Department, customers who would feel more comfortable completing their business online or through the mail may still do so.”

The re-opening is welcomed news for many, but Treasury staff caution patience.  The backlog created as a result of last year’s closures will take some time to complete, and customers should expect long waits.  

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, those customers entering public buildings at the Annex or Downtown locations will be required to adhere to strict social distancing guidelines and wear a mask or face covering at all times.

All motor vehicle services can be completed online or by mail.  To learn more, visit wycokck.org/Auto or reference the frequently asked questions below.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What offices are open?
  2. Where is the dropbox located?
    • The Treasury dropbox is in front of the Annex Office public entrance at 8200 State Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66112
  3. What can I use the dropbox for?
    • The dropbox can be used to submit all Treasury related business items that are not being serviced in an office. This includes, but is not limited to, annual registration renewals, title work, lien releases, handicap placards, and real estate payments.
  4. How do I title or register a new vehicle?
    • There are ways to register a newly acquired vehicle:
      • Follow the instructions on the Motor Vehicle Titling Mail-In Eligibility form online
      • Set an appointment online at wycokck.org/ugdmvappointments
  5. How do I get a 60-day temporary tag?
  6. How do I apply for or renew my handicap placard?
    • There are three ways to request a handicap placard:
      • Use the dropbox located at the Annex Office (8200 State Ave., Kansas City, KS 66112).
      • Send an email to ugmotorvehicle@wycokck.org
      • Send a Fax to (913) 573-2890
  7. Who can I contact for help?