Wyandotte County Recycling & Yard Waste Center Re-Opening

7/7/2020 12:00:00 AM

Service available every other week on Friday and Saturday beginning July 10

The Unified Government’s Public Works Department is re-opening Wyandotte County’s Recycling & Yard Waste Center on July 10.
Closed since late March 2020 due to the impact of COVID-19 in Wyandotte County, the Center will re-open to the public every other Friday and Saturday from 10 AM to 3 PM beginning July 10.  Wyandotte County residents will need to show proof of residency, such as a BPU bill.  The Center is not open to non-profits, businesses, or other commercial entities.
Due to revenue shortfalls caused by the sharp drop in sales and gasoline tax collections during Wyandotte County’s Stay-At-Home response to COVID-19, the Recycling & Yard Waste Center will have limited hours.
During the 2020 season, the Recycling & Yard Waste Center will be open from 10 AM to 3 PM on the following days:
  • July 10, 11, 24, 25
  • August 7, 8, 21, 22
  • September 4, 5, 18, 19
  • October 2, 3, 16, 17, 30, 31
  • November 13, 14
Residents are required to wear masks or face coverings and practice social distancing while at the Center until otherwise directed by the Unified Government’s Public Health Department.
Who Can Use the Recycling & Yard Waste Center?
The Recycling & Yard Waste Center is available at no charge to all residents of Wyandotte County.  Wyandotte County residents will need to show proof of residency, such as a BPU bill.  The Recycling & Yard Waste Center is not open to non-profits, businesses, or other commercial entities. 
What Recycling is Accepted?
Clear, brown, and colored glass is accepted at the Center.  The glass does not have to be separated by color and will be placed in the same container. In addition, other recyclables do not need to be separated and will be placed in one container. Other recyclable items accepted include newspapers, magazines, mixed office paper, cardboard, paperboard, food & beverage cans, and plastics. Please remove recyclables from plastic bags before placing them into recycling containers. Please break down cardboard boxes.
What Recycling is Not Accepted?
No plastic bags. No plastic toys. No motor oil or other auto product containers.  No herbicide or pesticide containers. No Styrofoam materials such as peanuts, packaging blocks/sheets, or cups. No plastic cereal box or cake box liner bags. No plastic 6-pack holders. No plastic pipe, PVC pipe. No plastic building materials or plastic sheet materials.
What Yard Waste is Accepted?
Wyandotte County residents can take grass clippings, garden trimmings, leaves, and branches to the Recycling & Yard Waste Drop Off Center.
What Yard Waste Is Not Accepted?
The Center cannot accept stumps and logs larger than 12 inches in diameter or items more than four feet in length.
Where Can I Take Items not Accepted at the Recycling & Yard Waste Center?
The Johnson County landfill will accept landscape waste delivered by Wyandotte County residents, free of charge, based on the following guidelines:
  • Yard waste is defined as leaves, grass clippings, branches 3 inches or less in diameter and 4 feet or less in length, fallen fruit, nuts, and acorns.
  • Yard waste must be generated from a residential property within Wyandotte County
  • Yard waste must be transported to the landfill by the resident disposing of it
  • Visitors must provide proof of residency upon arrival at the landfill
  • Residents are limited to one-load of no more than 3-cubic yards of material per week
  • Material not accepted as landscape/yard waste includes, but is not limited to, branches/stumps in excess of 3 inches in diameter, cut or rolls of sod, and manure
Material is accepted Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM, and on Saturdays from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM at 17955 Holliday Drive, Shawnee, Kansas 66217.
When is the Next Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Event?
The Household Hazardous Waste Center remains closed until further notice.
Residents with questions about the Yard Waste & Recycling Center may contact 3-1-1 or Public Works at (913) 573-5400.  For weekend assistance, call (816) 807-8076.  For assistance on Fridays, call (913) 371-2034.