On behalf of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, KS Parks & Recreation Department, we invite you to explore the attractions, and services offered through Parks and Recreation. Whether you’re interested in fishing at Wyandotte County Lake, playing a round of golf at Sunflower Hills, renting space for a community meeting, or enrolling your kids or yourself in a sports league, we have options for everyone!
Our mission is to provide clean, safe facilities and well-maintained green spaces for the public to enjoy and make recreation programming available for all. We are proud of our strong, established partnerships within the community that allow us to provide various activities.
Activities & Programs
We encourage you to explore the options within your community!
Parks & Recreation Activities & Programs Guide
Over 4,000 men and women participated in UG leagues, and another 5,000 participated in leagues and tournaments in our parks. Our adult Soccer league is recognized as the best in the KC area and the state of Kansas.
- Co-ed and Men’s Slow Pitch Softball
- Co-ed and Women’s Volleyball
- Men’s Basketball
- Men’s Fast Pitch Softball
- Men’s Soccer
We provide leagues for youths aged 5 - 18 years, and our sports schedule operates on a seasonal basis.
- Flag Football
- Youth Baseball
- Youth Basketball
- Youth Co-ed Dodgeball
- Youth Competitive Soccer
- Youth Indoor Futsal
- Youth Kickball
- Youth Soccer
- Youth Volleyball
- 3 - Point Shootout
Background checks are required for all those wanting to coach.
Apply to Coach(PDF, 100KB)
Mentoring & Tutoring
The Beatrice Lee Community Center offers personalized tutoring and mentoring services that align with students, eight years old and up, needs as recommended by their classroom teacher. Our volunteer focuses on engaging and maintaining or exceeding reading and math skills. Most sessions are scheduled 1:1 or in small groups of 1:4. Our goal is to develop a trusting relationship and to engage in structured activities often around classroom or homework-related topics.
Please call the community center at (913) 551-0438 to contact one of our volunteers and schedule a time for your child to meet their mentor. If you want to volunteer to help tutor and mentor local youths, please call (913) 551-0438 for details. Schedules will be set up according to the availability of the volunteer.
A league is any group for which starting times are reserved every week. Groups with experience at Sunflower Hills are first allowed to retain their starting times. Please set up your league dates as soon as possible, as our calendar fills up quickly.
Standing Leagues at Sunflower Hills include:
The Sunflower Senior League
This league is open to area seniors (55+) who have a common goal of enjoyment from the game of golf. The League will play 20 - 25 events annually (generally on Wednesday) at Sunflower Hills. Approximately half of the events are individual events, and half are team events.
The Sunflower Hills Ladies League
This league is open to local women golfers. The Ladies league plays Tuesday mornings at Sunflower Hills from April - October.
Teresa McCann, email@example.com
Pat Seber-Bradley, firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior Golf Classes & Leagues
In addition to the excellent championship course and practice area at Sunflower Hills, we have one of the most unique Junior Learning Centers in the Midwest. The Sunflower Hills Junior Golf Course has been a programming site since 2003 for The First Tee of Greater Kansas City. The Junior facility has a practice tee and a 6-hole golf course with three tee positions on every hole.
Each year Sunflower Hills offers a variety of Junior leagues/classes throughout the golfing season. Junior leagues/classes will be held at the Sunflower Hills Junior Golf Course Located in the Wyandotte County Park Adjacent to Sunflower Hills. Classes are limited to the first (20) entries. Leagues are limited to the first (24) entries. Class/League schedules will be available on March 1st.
Sunflower Hills is proud to be a programming facility of The First Tee of Greater Kansas City. This program impacts the lives of young people by providing learning facilities and educational programs that promote character development and life-enhancing values through the game of golf.
Patron Card/Season Pass Information
Holders are entitled to:
- Patron members receive up to $6 off on fees.
- Maintenance of a recognized USGA Handicap.
- Patron Card Holders are entitled to a discount at Sunflower Hills Junior Course & Learning Center.
- Sunflower Hills is a member of these golf organizations: Kansas City Golf Association, Kansas Golf Association, Greater Kansas City Public Links Golf Association, Greater Kansas City Women's Public Links Golf Association, United States Golf Association & the National Golf Foundation.
- Tee times for can be made (10) days in advance. The general public can make tee times (1) week in advance.
- Members are eligible to play in all Patrons Club events, including the Wyandotte County Open.
Holders are entitled to:
- A Season Pass is a fee paid in lieu of daily green fees. A season pass holder shall be considered a patron member and is entitled to all patron card privileges.
- Season pass includes all greens fees.
- Senior & Junior Season pass includes all greens fees Monday - Friday, excluding Holidays. Up to $6 off on Weekends & Holidays.
- The use of Season Pass is limited to days and times when the golf course is open.
- A Season Pass includes use of the Sunflower Hills Junior Course & Learning Center.
- A Family Season Pass includes the Spouse and any dependents (21) years and younger living at home.
The following types of season passes are available to residents and non-residents:
Single Adult Full Season: January 1st - December 31st
Family Full Season: January 1st - December 31st
Senior Full Season: January 1st - December 31st
Student & Junior Full Season: January 1st - December 31st
2017 Sunflower Hills Patron & Season Pass Prices
|Single WyCo Resident
|Senior/Junior WyCo Resident
|Family WyCO Resident
Private Lessons with Jeff Johnson
- PGA Master Golf Professional
- 30 minute lesson: $50
- Series of (5) 30 minute lessons: $200
Private Lessons with Mike Shatto (available May 15th - August 15th)
- Class A PGA Professional
- 30 minute lesson - $30
- Series of (5) 30 minute lessons - $135
Series of (5) 45 minute lessons with:
- (2) People: $125 each
- (3) People: $100 each
- (4) People: $90 each
- (5) People: $80 each
Jeff Johnson, Master Golf Professional
F: (913) 721-1025