Park Maintenance

It is our goal to maintain and improve the County's parks and park facilities, grounds, medians, urban forest, and waterfront in a safe, functional and attractive condition; and to involve and engage the community in the implementation of the mission.

The Parks department maintains (52) parks that include:

  • (48) play areas
  • (21) turf medians, triangles, and dividers
  • (44) parking and vacant lots
  • (75) paths, walks and steps and;
  • (40) undeveloped paths.



Noxious Weeds

Noxious Weed Chemical Sales

Noxious Weed Chemical Sales(PDF, 270KB)

Controlling Noxious Weeds

The Kansas Noxious Weed Law K.S.A. 2-1314 et seq requires all persons who own or supervise land in Kansas to control and eradicate all weeds declared noxious by legislative action.

Declared Noxious Weeds

The weeds declared noxious are: field bindweed, musk thistle, sericea lespedeza, Johnson grass, bur ragweed, Canada thistle, leafy spurge, hoary cress, quack grass, Russian knapweed, kudzu, and pignut.

Notice is hereby given pursuant to the Kansas Noxious Weed Law to every person who owns or supervises land in Wyandotte County that noxious weeds growing or found on such land shall be controlled and eradicated. Control is defined as preventing the production of viable seed and the vegetative spread of the plant.

Failure to observe this notice may result in the County

  • Serving a legal notice requiring control of the noxious weeds within a minimum of (5) days. Failure to control the noxious weeds within the time period allowed may result in the county treating the noxious weeds at the landowners expense and placing a lien on the property if the bill is not paid within (30) days or;

  • Filing criminal charges for non-compliance. Conviction for non-compliance may result in a fine of $100 per day of non-compliance with a maximum fine of $1,500.

The public is also hereby notified that it is a violation of the Kansas Noxious Weed Law to barter, sell, or give away infested nursery stock or livestock feed unless the feed is fed on the farm where grown or sold to a commercial processor that will destroy the viability of the noxious weed seed. Custom harvesting machines must be labeled with a label provided by the Kansas Department of Agriculture and must be free of all weed seed and litter when entering the state and when leaving a field infested with noxious weeds.

Additional information

Kansas Department of Agriculture
109 S.W. 9th, Topeka, KS 66612

Tree Information

KCK Tree Board

As part of being designated a Tree City USA by the Arbor Day Foundation since 2008, Kansas City, KS has a tree board which addresses urban forestry issues. This board is headed by staff at the Parks & Recreation Department.

The Tree Board encourages the planting of trees for the many benefits trees provide to our community. It is important that you choose the right tree for your location.

Prior to planting trees, make sure that you contact Kansas One-Call and local utility companies before any digging.

Tree Planting and Tree Care Information

KCK Ordinances for Trees

If you are an urban forestry advocate, the Tree Board of KCK is participating with the K.C. regional campaign of the Heartland Tree Alliance to raise funds for tree planting in area parks. If you are interested in assisting, visit Bridging The Gap.

Emerald Ash Borer Slide Show(PPT, 5MB)
Additional Information on Emerald Ash Borer(PDF, 190KB)

Unsolicited Packages of Seeds

KDA Asks Public to Report Receipt of any Unsolicited Packages of Seeds

MANHATTAN, Kansas — The Kansas Department of Agriculture has been notified that several Kansas residents have received unsolicited packages containing seeds that appear to have originated from China. The types of seeds in the packages are unknown at this time. The packages were sent by mail; some have been labeled as jewelry and they may have Chinese writing on them. Unsolicited packages of seeds have been received by people in several other states across the United States over the last several days.
If you receive a package of this type, please DO NOT plant these seeds. If they are in sealed packaging, don’t open the sealed package. Instead, please contact KDA’s plant protection and weed control program at (785) 564-6698, via email at, or at the complaint reporting portion of the KDA website: report a seed complaint.
Unsolicited seeds could be invasive species, could introduce diseases to local plants, or could be harmful to livestock. Invasive species wreak havoc on the environment, displace or destroy native plants and insects and severely damage crops. KDA works to prevent the introduction of invasive species and protect Kansas agriculture.