Development Review Committee

Comprised of a representative of each reviewing department; Building InspectionsPlanningEngineeringPublic Works, BPU, Fire Prevention, and the Health Department. The committee reviews new commercial development, additions, occupancy changes, commercial pools, and exterior renovations. All other permits are reviewed with Building Inspections.

Unified Government has adopted the following codes and ordinances:

  • 2018 International Building Code
  • 2018 International Mechanical Code
  • 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code
  • 2017 National Electrical Code
  • 2018 International Fire Code
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2018 NFPA Life Safety Code
  • Ordinances of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County / Kansas City, Kansas

DRC Process

  • Pre-application meetings are available with DRC. The purpose of the pre-application meetings is to provide applicants with the opportunity to meet with City representatives, identify potential issues, assist the applicant in preparing their submittal to the City, and to expedite processing of the development application. Pre-application meetings are advisory only. You may fill out our DRC Pre-application meeting form located below. Once you have completed the form, you may submit it to, at which point, our DRC Coordinator will reach out to set up a meeting.
    DRC Pre-Application Meeting Request Form(PDF, 84KB) 

  • Submittal Requirements: One (1) digital set of complete plans shall be provided on a flash drive or submitted to Spec books and any additional documents should be submitted digitally. DRC building permit application and plan review fee are required at the time of submittal. All plans and specification are required to be prepared, designed, signed and sealed by an engineer or architect licensed by the State of Kansas. Projects are distributed to DRC on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  
  1. Projects with commercial pools, septic systems, and pre-package food are required to be reviewed by the UG Health Department. Projects involving food service establishments, taverns, private clubs, nursing homes, childcare, schools, or hospitals are required to be reviewed by the State of Kansas Department of Agriculture. The applicant is responsible for providing the required plans to these departments.

  • Plan Review: Departmental plan review comments are targeted to be provided within 10 business days of new and resubmittals. This timeline can change based on number of submissions under review. Plans are reviewed in the order received. Departmental Requirement and Recommendation forms (plan review comments) will be emailed to the project’s point of contact. As of May 1, 2008, resubmittals (3rd plan review) with a significant change in design and projects with multiple plan reviews may be subjected to additional plan review fees. Single sheet revisions are accepted during the review process, however a full set of approved drawings (digital and hard copy) must be provided at the time of permit issuance to be stamped by Building Inspection and kept on the work site.

  • Issuance of the Building Permit: Sitework, Grading, and Footing and Foundation permits may be requested (prior to the full building permit), but are subjected to the review and approval of DRC. An additional fee of $200 is required with the issuance of a Footing and Foundation permit and the project is required to comply with inspections. If land disturbance is over one acre or a 1000 square foot roof structure is being built, a Land Disturbance permit must be acquired before any site work may begin.

  • Approval from all reviewing departments is required for a building permit to be issued. At the time of issuance, the Department Requirement and Recommendation forms are required to be signed and returned, and the building permit fee paid. Additional permits and fees may be required by other reviewing departments.

  • A contractor must be chosen and have a current license to operate in Wyandotte County prior to issuance of the permit.

  • Inspections: Upon completion of the project and the required inspections, DRC members will conduct final inspections prior to the issuance of a certification of occupancy. This final inspection is to assure that all the requirements have been met and all ordinances have been complied with.

  • Bond Procedure: Please see the document below for procedures regarding landscaping bonds.
    Landscaping Bonds(PDF, 255KB)

DRC Applications

Prior to submitting a DRC Building Permit application, you may request a pre-application meeting. To do so, fill out the form linked below and submit it to Our DRC Coordinator will reach out to you to schedule a meeting time.

DRC Pre-Application Meeting Form(PDF, 84KB)

Our DRC Building Permit and Land Disturbance Permit applications are below. Please note, you may need additional entitlements prior to applying for a DRC Building Permit. You will be advised of this at your pre-application meeting. You must submit your application as well as your full plan set to Requirements for your plan set are located below in the "DRC Plan Set Checklist" tab

DRC Building Permit Application(PDF, 142KB)

Land Disturbance Permit Application(PDF, 131KB)


DRC Plan Set Checklist


  • Project name and address
  • Legal description of the development site and vicinity map
  • Building use, type, and/or purpose
  • North arrow & scale 1”=20’ or 1/16” minimum
  • All property lines, all existing and proposed utility and utility easement(s), project benchmark, and right of way
  • Location with regard to street (lot and block or tract)
  • Proposed and/or existing setbacks
  • Proposed and/or existing curb cuts
  • Proposed and/or existing drives and walks (indicate type of material)
  • Proposed and/or existing grades
  • Proposed and/or existing off street parking including compliance with ADA
  • Proposed and/or existing landscaping (specific type, size and location)
  • Proposed and/or existing trash container, bin or dumpster location and screening information
  • Flood zone information when applicable
  • Structure(s) to be demolished
  • Location and size of water main serving lot shown
  • Existing and proposed sanitary sewers
  • Storm sewer inlets and associated piping if applicable
  • Elevations -

           -   Finish floor
           -   Finish curb or crown of street at points of extension of lot lines
           -   Locations and existing elevation of sanitary sewer stub to be utilized
           -   by the lot shown including UG node number
           -   Location of and existing elevations of upstream and downstream                  
           -   manholes including UG node number
           -   Existing and finish elevation at each corner lot
           -   Elevations of top of foundation to be utilized by the sanitary sewer


  • Name of developer
  • Name, address, and phone number of contact person
  • Complete structural plans, including floor layout, building elevations, and electrical, plumbing, and HVAC plan/details
  • If any new easements are required the site must be platted (Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas Ordinance No. 51425, Section 42-4(1)
  • Code footprint including but not limited to: construction type, occupancy load, egress plan, and area increase data


  • Fire exits
  • Fire escapes
  • Sprinkler systems (when applicable)
  • Smoke towers (when applicable to high rise structures)
  • Stand pipes (when applicable)
  • Fire alarm system
  • Fire control and detection equipment
  • Fire pumps (when applicable)
  • Shaft-ways
  • Fire walls and stops
  • Hose wells
  • Smoke detectors


  • Site plans are a required submittal and must include:
  • Floor plans
  • Landscape plans
  • Building elevations, including materials and color
  • Sign elevations, including materials and mechanics
  • Projected number of employees and people served by the project


  • Supply plans and specifications of kitchen/meat room equipment, building materials and the location, size and type such equipment and facilities for:
  1. Grocery and Convenience Stores
  2. Nursing homes and child care centers
  • Plans and specifications of all private sewage disposal systems
  • Plans and specifications of all public swimming pools

 Department of Air Quality Requirements 

  • State and local air pollution regulations require the registration and prior approval of all new or modified sources of air contaminant emissions with the Department of Air Quality (DAQ).  The DAQ will supply the necessary application forms, conduct any necessary evaluation and issue appropriate construction permits or approvals.  Assistance is available to any source operator in applying for necessary air permits/approvals and in understanding and complying with all local, state and federal air pollution regulations by calling (913) 573-6700.
  • Major sources of air emissions must also apply for and receive an operating permit from DAQ.


  • Intersection drawings
  • Type of waste produced
  • Method of sewage disposal
  1. Are sanitary sewers available?  If private sewage systems detailed plans and specifications are required:  Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas Ordinance, Article V, Section 32-75-86.
  2. Projected daily sewage load (gallons)
  • Plans and specifications showing location, size, and type (sanitary, process, or storm) of all discharge lines into the municipal sewer system and the service proposed from the street water main to the control valve in the building
  • Plans and specifications pertaining to the connection of roof, areaway, garage, or foundation drains, sanitary and process sewer lines into the municipal sewer system.  By ordinance no surface water or water from roof and foundation drains may be discharged to a sanitary sewer.
  • Meter and meter pit location, meter pit pipe and meter pit details for water not provided by the Board of Public Utilities of Kansas City, Kansas, which is discharged into the municipal sewer system.
  • Plans and specifications of all pretreatment systems designed for pollutant removal from wastewater.
  • Number of each type of water fixtures to be supplied
  • Plans and specifications for surface water runoff including construction phase erosion control.
  • Method of electrical power, telephone service, and cable television shall be provided by underground wiring for all new wiring provided as required:  Unified Government of Wyandotte County/Kansas City, Kansas Ordinance 27-708. See Ordinance for exceptions.
  • The Public Works Department also needs to be supplied with the projected number of employees, the projected number of persons to be served by the project, and the projected growth rate. 


  • Requirements and check lists for sanitary sewers, storm drainage, streets, erosion control, and land disturbance are available under the Planning Departments website.


  • Water Main – Is a water main available and adequate to supply the proposed project?  If water mains are not available at site, a main extension may be required to be constructed at developer’s expense
  • Proposed electrical power including:

            a) Electrical one-line or riser drawings,
            b) Proposed panel board schedules, indicating electrical load in kVA, if
            c) Equipment lists calling out other major equipment that will require
                electrical power, to include electrical load, when known.

  • If the project is to be built in phases, one overall or final plan is required. Two sets of plans are required:
  1. Site plan
  2. Mechanical plans including:

          a)   Dedicated public right of  way, roads, property lines and easements
          b)   Number and type of units and water fixtures to be supplied
          c)   Size, type of pipe and type of service proposed from water main to
                service control valve in  building
          a)   Proposed location of meter and/or meter pit, meter pit piping detail,
                meter pit detail
          b)   Specifications and plans shall include the statement; “the plumber
                shall comply with the rules and regulations of the Board of Public


  • Projects with septic systems, commercial pools, and pre-package food are required to be reviewed by the UG Health Department. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide the UG Health Department with one (1) set of complete plans.

UG Health Department
619 Ann Avenue
Kansas City, Kansas 66101
p. (913) 321-4803

  • Food service establishments, taverns, private clubs, nursing homes, child care, schools, or hospitals must submit one (1) set of complete plans to the Kansas Department of Agriculture.  Establishment must be inspected and approved before opening.          

Kansas Department of Agriculture
109 SW 9th Street, 3rd Floor
Topeka, Kansas 66612
p. (785) 296-5600 f. (785) 296-0673 _safety

DRC Fee Schedule

There are two fees associated with DRC; plan review and building permit. The plan review fee is based off of your total project valuation including all trade work. The building permit fee is calculated using the building cost (minus the trade work). A review fee of $550 from the Board of Public Utilities is added to the plan review fee.

Project Valuation Fee Calculation Rounds to
$0-$30,000 $30 base fee + .75 per each $100 for the value of work up to $30,000 Nearest .75
$30,001-$1,000,000 $255 base fee + .50 per each $100 for the value of work between $30,001 and $1,000,000 Nearest .50
>$1,000,001 $5105 base fee + .40 per each $100 for the value of work above $1,000,001 Nearest .40
Board of Public Utilities $550

Calculation Examples for Plan Review and Building Permit fees:

Project Valuation = $0.00 - $30,000.00
(Valuation / 100 * 0.75) + 30 = Permit Fee

Project Valuation = $30,001 - $1,000,000
[(Valuation - 30,000) / 100 * 0.50] + 255 = Permit Fee

Project Valuation = Over $1,000,001
    [(Valuation - 1,000,000) / 100 * 0.40] + 5,105 = Permit Fee

Plan review fee is half of the building permit cost, plus $550 BPU fee.

Contact Us

Kallie McLaughlin: Planner / Interim DRC Coordinator (913) 573-5762 Email
Jordan Stephens: Project Engineer / Interim DRC Coordinator (913) 573-8664 Email
Jim Neath: Chairman: Building Inspections (913) 573-8629 Email
Byron Toy: Planning + Urban Design (913) 573-5757 Email
Harvey Fields: Fire Prevention (913) 573-5550 Email
Ricky Ledgerwood: Public Works Engineering (913) 573-5421 Email
Patrick Doyle: Planning Engineering (913) 573-5759 Email
Kelly Bobki: Board of Public Utilities (913) 573-9846 Email
Jenny Li: Board of Public Utilities: Water (913) 573-9845 Email
Courtney Connor: Board of Public Utilities: Electric (913) 573-9838 Email
Amanda Harrop: Health Department (913) 573-8819 Email

Additional Contact Information

Health Department
619 Ann Ave., Kansas City, KS 66101
P: (913) 321-4803

Kansas Department of Agriculture
109 SW 9th St, 3rd Floor, Topeka, KS 66612
P: (785) 296-5600   |   F: (785) 296-0673

Additional City Applications for Development

Planning + Urban Design

Planning Entitlements: Certain projects may require planning entitlements such as a Change of Zone, Special Use Permit, Preliminary or Final Plan Review, Zoning Variance, or Subdivisions. You may find these planning entitlement applications on our Land Entitlement Applications page.

Sign Permits: All signage requires a separate permit through the Planning + Urban Design department. For more information about sign permits, including the Sign Ordinance and Sign Permit Applications, please visit our Sign Ordinance and Permits Applications page.


Public Works

To apply for a Hauling or Right-of-Way permit, please visit our online Right-of-Way Application.

Fire Prevention

To apply for a Fire Sprinkler Permit, please see our Fire Sprinkler Permit application below.

Fire Sprinkler Permit(PDF, 357KB)