ADA Compliance


The Unified Government (UG) does not discriminate based on disability in its hiring or employment practices and complies with all regulations promulgated by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission under Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Effective Communication

Aids and services are provided for qualified persons with disabilities upon request. Ensuring equal participation in programs, services, and activities. These include:

  • Sign language interpreters
  • Documents in Braille
  • Other information accessible to those who have speech, hearing, or vision impairments.

Modifications to Policies & Procedures

The UG makes all reasonable modifications to policies and programs to ensure that people with disabilities have an equal opportunity to enjoy all UG programs, services, and activities. For example, individuals with service animals are welcomed in UG offices, even where pets are generally prohibited.

Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, or a modification of policies or procedures to participate in a UG program, service, or activity, should contact:

Phyllis Wallace, ADA Coordinator
701 North 7th Street, Room 346, Kansas City, KS 66101
(913) 573-5460
Fax: (913) 573-5511

Please do not contact us later than (48) hours before the scheduled event.
Submit Online Request

The ADA does not require the UG to take any action that would fundamentally alter the nature of its programs or services or impose an undue financial or administrative burden.

Complaints that a UG program, service, or activity is not accessible to persons with disabilities should be directed to Phyllis Wallace.

A surcharge will not be placed on a particular individual with a disability or any group of individuals with disabilities to cover the cost of providing auxiliary aids or services or reasonable modifications of policy, such as retrieving items from locations that are open to the public but are not accessible to persons who use wheelchairs.

For accessibility concerns related to housing, please contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Please File a Complaint or call (800) 669-9777. To contact the Kansas City Regional Office, please call (800) 743-5323 or (913) 551-6972 (TTY).

To file a complaint for a business located within Wyandotte County that serves the public (restaurant, shopping establishment, doctor’s office, hotel, etc.), please contact the Department of Justice at (800) 514-0301 or (833) 610-1264 (TTY) or visit