Land Bank

Land Bank Landing

Kansas City, Kansas is a place of enormous potential for growth and development. However, the urban core of Kansas City, Kansas has many residential parcels that have remained vacant for years. These vacancies are largely the result of the myriad of challenges to building infill housing in historic neighborhoods.

In light of this challenge, the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas implemented innovative solutions to reduce the cost of building, and streamlined the process for new construction in existing neighborhoods.

Land Bank Strategy

  • Create a market for rehab, and infill development
  • Encourage infill development
  • Streamline the building process

Calling Neighborhood Group

We would love your input on ideas you have about a Land Bank Lot in your neighborhood! The best way to do that is request for us to come to a meeting. 

 Request A Speaker

What Kind of Properties are In the Land Bank

The Land Bank is divided into (3) types of parcels, which are determined by the Unified Government Planning and Zoning Department.

Non-Buildable Parcels:

Parcels where houses or other large buildings cannot be built, but garages, fencing, paving, or similar structures can be built.

Buildable Parcels:

Parcels of land without any free-standing structures before purchase where structures such as houses or other large buildings can be built.

Parcels with a Structure:

Parcels of land with structures already on them (including homes, garages, and businesses).


Who Controls the Property in the Land Bank?

The Land Bank Manager operates the Land Bank and serves at the direction of the Land Bank Board of Trustees. Under Kansas State law (K.S.A. 19-26, 109), the board assumes possession and control of any property it acquires and has the power to hold and administer such property.

How Do Properties Get Into the Land Bank?

The Wyandotte County Land Bank acquires its property through tax foreclosure. The land bank also reserves the right to accept land through private donation that is deemed necessary or beneficial to Wyandotte County’s community building efforts.

Who owns the property next to me?

Report a Maintenance Problem

You can report it to our Parks Team.

  • Overgrown Land Bank Lots
  • Illegal Dumping
  • Downed Trees

More Info on Mowing