Victim Assistance

The advocates in the Victim Assistance Program treat all victims of crime with compassion and respect for their dignity and privacy as together we walk through the processes of the Criminal Justice System. Victims’ rights to participation in criminal proceedings are ensured by timely notification and appropriate assistance so that they may be safe and protected from intimidation and retaliation, and assisted to obtain restitution, Crime Victims Compensation, and other services available in the community.

It is the right of the victim of a crime to be informed about the progress of the case. The Victim Assistance Unit notifies victims when charges have been filed in all cases in the adult and juvenile courts. Notification is done with an initial packet including a letter, booklet and Victim Impact Statement form. Victims are also notified of arraignment hearings, preliminary hearings, trials and sentencing hearings.

Will I receive compensation for appearing as a witness?

By statute you are entitled to a $10 fee each time you are required to appear for a court hearing, plus mileage reimbursement. To collect fees, present your subpoena after each court hearing to the criminal Department on the third floor of the courthouse. A check will be mailed to you.

What if I am threatened as a witness?

Any attempt to prevent or dissuade a witness form testifying is a violation of the law. Report any such incident immediately to the police and the prosecuting attorney.

Should I talk to the defense attorney?

This is strictly your decision.

What if I change my mind and do not want to prosecute or testify?

A crime committed against any person is a crime against the state, and once a Complaint or Information is filed, it becomes the State’s case. If you have any reluctance about testifying in a case, please discuss your concerns with the prosecutor handling your case or the Victim Assistance Unit.

Will I be compensated for losses I have suffered as a result of being a victim of a crime?

Check with your insurance company. Your policy may provide coverage for personal injury or property loss due to a crime. If you were a victim of a violent crime, you may be eligible for compensation under the Kansas Crime Victims compensation Law. We will assist you in securing the form necessary to make application for compensation. In addition, if a person is convicted and sentenced, the court may order the defendant to pay restitution, that is, to pay for the costs of your injuries, or damages. For that reason, it is important for you to document all financial losses.

When will I get my property back?

All property will be released as soon as possible; however; each case is different, and sometimes the property might need to be held until after the trial. Discuss the question with the prosecutor handling you case or the Victim Assistance Unit.

As a victim, will I be notified of all the defendant’s court hearings?

You will be subpoenaed at all hearings where your testimony is needed. Even if you are not subpoenaed for the preliminary hearing or trial, you will still be notified of them. In, addition, you will be notified for the defendant’s sentencing. All other court proceedings are held in open court. You may attend any or all of the defendant’s hearings.

If I get a rape kit, or sexual assault exam done at a hospital, who pay that bill?

If a sexual assault occurs and a rape kit is done by a hospital, the bill to that service can be paid by the District Attorney’s Office under K.S.A 65-448. The hospital or ER should send this bill directly to the DA’s office, but if you as the victim of the crime receive the bill please send it to the District Attorney’s Office for payment.

Useful Contacts

Kansas Legal Services

WYCO Victim Assistance

(913) 573-2851

Adult Court Services (Diversion, Adult Probation)

(913) 573-2846

Community Corrections

(913) 573-4180


(913) 573-2865

KS City Housing Authority

(913) 281-3300

KS Crime Victims' Compensation Board (Topeka)

(785) 296-2359
or 1 (800) 828-9745

KS Dept of Corrections, Victim Notification (for MO and KS phones only)

(785) 296-3317
or 1 (888) 317-8204

KS State Parole Board (Topeka)

(785) 296-3469

KS State Parole Office WYCO

(913) 621-1830

KS Lawyer Refferal Service (Topeka)

1 (800) 675-5860

Dept. of Social & Rehabilitation Services (SRS WYCO)

(913) 279-7000

SRS Hotline

1 (866) 215-9077

Wyandotte/Leavenworth Legal Service

(913) 621-0200

KS Attorney General

1 (800) 828-9745

Child Abuse/Adult Sexual Assault

Counseling Information for Victim / Survivors of Sexual Abuse

Shelter Information

Domestic Violence: (913) 573-8190; or Hotline (816) 468-5463
Joyce Williams Haven (Wyandotte County): (913) 321-0951
Safehome (Johnson County)(913) 262-2868
Leavenworth Alliance (Leavenworth County): 1 (888) 682-9131

Survivors of Homicide Victims

Crime Victims Compensation Board has an application for Grief Counseling for family members of homicide victims.

More Information:

Call Victim Assistance Unit: (913) 573-2851, or;
Crime Victims Compensation for Applications & Information: 1 (800) 828-9745

Support Groups