Request an Open Burn Exception Permit

Are you burning outside of the months of April, October, or November? You will need to apply for a Burn Permit through the form below.

If you are burning within the months of April, October, or November, you DO NOT need to apply through this form. Instead, please contact your local fire department for the appropriate permit to burn during the open burn period.

If you are seeking a permit (exemption) for purposes other than residential burning, please proceed with the form below, or contact the Division of Air Quality office at (913) 573-6700.


Step 1.Determine if you’re eligible for a burn permit.

You must qualify under one of the following categories:

  • Agricultural operations related to the growing or harvesting of crops.
  • Special purpose recreational and ceremonial fires (such as bonfires).
  • Fire Safety Training
  • Extraordinary Circumstances

If your burn qualifies under one of the above requirements, go to step 2.

Step 2.Gather the Following Information

  • Date & Time: When is the proposed burn to take place?
  • Location: Where is the burn going to take place?
  • Quantity of waste: The approximate size (ft) of the pile of debris to be burned. (Example: one pile of agricultural waste is 10 ft. long x 5 ft. wide x 3 ft. high).
  • Type of waste being burned.

Note: Your burn pile can only consist of naturally occurring, organic waste.

Step 4.Submit Your Application

Apply Online

Step 5.Wait for a Visit

Once we receive your application, we will visit the proposed burn site to verify that the information on the application is valid and eligible.

Step 6.Wait for a Response

You will receive a notification from an Air Quality representative by telephone, fax, or letter informing you of the status of your application. Please allow a week or more to inspect the proposed burn site and get approval from both Air Quality and Fire Prevention.