Open Burning

AQ burning

Open Burning

Options to extend the April burn period into May are being evaluated. Current information can be found on the Fire Department and UG websites, or by calling (913) 573-5911.

The Compliance and Enforcement Section conducts annual facility inspections of air pollution sources in Wyandotte County to determine compliance with air regulations and permits.

Outdoor and ambient air quality complaints are welcomed and will be investigated by air quality staff. Contact us by phone (913) 573-6700 or

Open burning is the burning of any matter so that products of combustion from the burning are emitted directly into the ambient (outside) air without passing through a good stack, duct, or chimney. Generally, anytime you light a fire outdoors, you are open burning. Kansas City, KS, allows for limited residential and commercial burning types.

Residential Burning

Residents are allowed (2) periods during the year to conduct residential open burning in KCK. Residents must apply for a burn permit at any KCK Fire Station.

The permit is valid for (3) consecutive days during:

  • The month of April
  • October 16th - November 15th, from 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
  • Few exceptions exist outside the (2) specified residential open burning months.

Do's & Don'ts of Permitted Open Burning

Step 1

Determine if you are eligible for a burning permit. Do you qualify under one of the categories KCK regulations say a burn permit may be issued?

  • Agricultural operations related to the growing or harvesting of crops.
  • Special purpose recreational and ceremonial fires (typically bonfires)
  • Fire Safety Training
  • Extraordinary Circumstances

Step 2

If your proposed burning qualifies under one of the above eligibility requirements, apply for an open burning permit.

Complete the open burning permit application. Clarification of questions in the open burning permit application:

  1. Date & Time: When the proposed burn is to take place.

  2. Quantity of Waste: The approximate size (ft) of the pile of debris to be burned (example: one pile of agricultural waste is 10 ft. long x 5 ft. wide x 3 ft. high).

How to Apply

Step 3

Upon reception of a completed open burning permit application, a representative from Air Quality will visit the proposed burn site to verify that the information stated on the application is valid and eligible.

Step 4

You will receive notification from an Air Quality representative by telephone, fax, or letter informing you of the status of your application. Please allow a week or more to inspect the proposed burn site and get approval from Air Quality and Fire Prevention.

Step 5

An authorized permit can be obtained in person, by mail, or by fax as described in Step 2.

Alternatives to Residential Burning

The burning of residential yard waste can be hazardous to your health of you and your neighbors. Use available alternatives to residential burning.

Weekly Curbside Trash Pickup

Deffenbaugh Industries will pick up your yard waste (leaves, grass clippings, etc.), tree limbs and loose lumber. Call (913) 631-3300 for details.

All waste must be:

  • Bagged or bundled in 4 ft lengths
  • Weigh no more than 75 pounds
  • Must be curbside by 7:00 AM

Commercial Burning

The Permitting and Technical Services Program reviews and issues construction permits for new or modified sources of air pollution in Wyandotte County. This program also performs technical studies and evaluations, emission calculations, technology reviews, regulatory applicability determinations, etc.

DAQ acts as an agent of the state to issue permits under state authority and issuing permits under local rules. DAQ has given many complex Class I permits and Class II permits to sources covered by the operating permit program.

Kansas Title V Operating Permit program became effective in February of 1996 and is being implemented by this Program in Wyandotte County.