Child Care Licensing

The Child Care Services Program works with all childcare providers in Wyandotte County. According to Kansas Child Care Licensing Law, anyone providing out-of-home care for children birth to (16) years other than those related by blood, marriage, or adoption must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

This program provides information on adolescent health through consultation, technical assistance, and educational presentations to agencies (local and state, public and private). Also, responds to inquiries concerning adolescent health services from medical professionals, legislators, other agencies, and the public.

See Immunizations for information on Child Care Services & Programs provided through the Public Health Department.

Eligibility Requirements

Wyandotte County resident, at least 18 years of age, and a high school graduate or GED holder.

Is there a fee?

Yes. $10 (cash) per person fee for an in-home childcare facility orientation; $25 (per facility) fee for a center, preschool, or school-age program orientation.

Orientation Information

All persons interested in becoming licensed and opening a childcare facility must attend an orientation session.

  • Orientations for In-Home Facilities: the 2nd Tuesday of each month from 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM at the Health Department 619 Ann Avenue, Kansas City, KS 66101.

  • Orientations for a Center, Preschool, or School-age Program: Scheduled by appointment only.

Schedule an Appointment

Call (913) 573-6702 to register for orientation class or to schedule an appointment for a center, preschool, or school-age program orientation. For more information, visit

Kansas State Statute (K.S.A)

Chapter # Chapter Title Article # Article Title Section(s)
65 Public Health V Maternity Centers and Child Care Facilities 65-516