Currently, our Summer Associate positions are closed. Please check back in April 2024 for more information.
Looking for a summer opportunity? The AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associate program offers you the opportunity to become engaged in a community through an existing AmeriCorps VISTA project for 8, 9, or 10 weeks during the summer starting in May and ending no later than early September.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Summer Associate interest. Please include a copy of your resume.
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
Learn more about benefits and AmeriCorps VISTA here: VISTA Program | AmeriCorps
Summer Associate Benefits
AmeriCorps members serving as VISTA Summer Associates receive many of the same benefits as those who serve full-time for one year. Summer Associates are eligible to receive:
- Living allowance
- End-of-service summer award
- Reduction of education costs
- Limited leave
Because Summer Associate service is a shorter term, there are important changes in AmeriCorps benefits available. These are noted below; you can find more details on the AmeriCorps VISTA benefits in the member handbook.
End-of-Service Benefit for VISTA Summer Associates
To see the current value of the education award, visit the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award fund page. The award is in the form of a voucher (not cash) and can be used to pay for future educational training and related expenses at Title IV schools, and/or to repay existing eligible federal student loans. Be sure to visit the Education Award site to learn which student loans are qualified.
Leave for VISTA Summer Associates
There are three categories of leave available to Summer Associates
- Holidays: Summer Associates receive leave on federal holidays observed by their project site.
- Emergency Leave: When an emergency or illness prevents a Summer Associate from serving, AmeriCorps staff may approve make-up time to help the Summer Associate meet the required number of service days.
- Jury Duty: Summer Associates who are summoned for jury duty will continue to receive their living allowance.
Summer Associates do not receive personal or sick leave.
For more information on the Summer Associate program and member benefits, explore the following resource:
- AmeriCorps VISTA Member Handbook, Chapter 11