* * * ATTENTION * * *
Proposed Codes Adoption for Unified Government/Kansas City, Kansas
The Unified Government Neighborhood Resource Center in conjunction with the Fire Department request your input on adopting the proposed 2018 codes and ordinances. Click here to view the codes and submit your comments.
The Rental Licensing and Inspection program began in 1996 requiring all landlords of residential rental property to maintain a valid rental license in compliance with City Ordinance 66057 (Sec 19-25 through 249 of Code of Ordinances).
The program establishes standards to:
- protect the character and stability of residential areas,
- correct and prevent housing conditions that adversely affect or are likely to affect the life, safety, general welfare and health including physical, mental and social well being of persons occupying dwellings and the surrounding area,
- enforce minimum standards,
- preserve the value of land and buildings, and
- protect the public from increased criminal activity, which tends to occur in residential areas that are unstable, blighted or substandard
All residential rental licenses expire on April 30th of each year. Obtaining a rental license is the responsibility of the property owner.
For Zoning Information Contact: Planning & Urban Design: P: (913) 573-5750
If you would like the Rental Licensing/Inspection division to do an inspection of the rental property you are leasing, please call our office at (913)573-8649 to schedule an inspection.
Are you living in a rental property? Do you ever wonder if things are safe and up to current code? Below is a list of common things to look for:
- Smoke detectors are required in each bedroom plus each level of the unit/house
- GFCI outlets are required in bathrooms
- Double keyed locks are not allowed
- Copper cannot be used for gas supply lines
- Windows must be operable, not blocked or boarded
- Handrails are required at sets of 4 or more stairs/risers
- Hot water tank and furnace must be vented properly and operational
- Electrical panel and circuits must be safe
For information on landlord and tenant rights, disputes and resolutions: