Extended Hours for Storm Debris Disposal in KCK
Published on July 20, 2023
The Recycling & Yard Waste Center, located at 3241 Park Drive, is helping residents deal with storm debris.
Due to the recent severe weather, the center’s hours and days of operation will be extended again next week, Tuesday, July 25, through Sunday, July 30, from 10 AM to 3 PM. This extension aims to accommodate those who may find it challenging to visit during the regular operating days. Residents now have an extended opportunity to take advantage of the center's services and dispose of storm-related waste.
The center is currently open through Sunday, July 23, from 10 AM to 3 PM, but it will temporarily close its doors on Monday, July 24. This brief closure will enable Public Works to efficiently remove the storm debris that has already been dropped off, ensuring a clean and organized facility for everyone.
While the Recycling & Yard Waste Center welcomes various types of waste, please remember that stumps and logs larger than 12 inches in diameter and items over four feet long cannot be accepted.
Visitors will need to show proof of residency. Accepted documents include a driver's license, BPU bill, or something displaying their name and address. This requirement is in place to prioritize services for the local community and ensure that resources are properly utilized.
Under normal circumstances, the Recycling & Yard Waste Center operates from Thursday through Saturday, 10 AM to 3 PM, excluding holidays until November 20.
For residents who cannot visit the center, there are other ways to dispose of debris:
With Your Normal Trash & Recycling
Kansas City, Kansas, residents can place debris curbside on their normal trash day. Leaves and grass clippings must be bagged and not more than 50 pounds per bag. Tree limbs must be tied in bundles not more than four feet long and less than 50 pounds. Limbs must be 4 inches or less in diameter.
At the Johnson County Landfill
Kansas City, Kansas, residents can dispose of debris at the Johnson County Landfill located at 17955 Holliday Drive, Shawnee, Kansas 66217, Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 3:30 PM. The landfill will accept landscape waste delivered by residents, free of charge, based on the following guidelines:
- Yard waste is defined as leaves, grass clippings, branches 3 inches or less in diameter and 4 feet or less in length, fallen fruit, nuts, and acorns.
- Yard waste must be generated from a residential property within the city.
- Yard waste must be transported to the landfill by the resident disposing of it.
- Visitors must provide proof of residency upon arrival at the landfill.
- Residents are limited to one load of no more than 3-cubic yards of material per week.
- Material not accepted as landscape/yard waste includes, but is not limited to, branches/stumps in excess of 3 inches in diameter, cut or rolls of sod, and manure.
To learn more about Solid Waste Management, visit wycokck.org/waste.