Frequently Asked Questions

The Register of Deeds Office Does Not Give Out Legal Advice

What is a deed?

A deed is a document that transfers the ownership of real estate. There are many forms of deeds. Warranty deed and quit claim deed are among two of the most common forms used. A warranty deed is a guarantee from the seller to the buyer that he has a good, clear title, and guarantees that previous owners or heirs have no interest in the property. A quit claim deed is used to release the name of a person who may have interest in or claim to the property.

Can I make out my own deed?

Yes, but the Register of Deeds and staff always recommend that you retain an attorney or title company.

How can I get a copy of my deed?

Our staff will gladly assist you in locating a document or current ownership information if you telephone, visit the office, or mail a copy request with a check payable to the Register of Deeds. Since advance payment is required we cannot process a request for copies via email or fax. Please refer to our fee schedule to determine the applicable fees.

How do I change my name, add someone to my deed, or remove someone from my deed?

We cannot change a recorded document as it is a permanent record. If you want to make a change to the title, a new document would need to be prepared and recorded. We cannot prepare the document for you. We recommend that you contact an attorney.

Why can’t the Register of Deeds prepare my real estate documents?

The Register of Deeds is charged with the duty of being an independent custodian of records. As such, the only area we can assist you in is general process questions. We cannot assist you in the actual drafting of documents. We highly recommend that you obtain legal counsel for these transactions.

Can you record a deed for property located outside of Wyandotte County?

No, the property must be located in Wyandotte County. The Wyandotte County Register of Deeds office can help you locate other Kansas Register of Deeds offices.

Can the Register of Deeds do a title search and tell me if I have clear title to my property?

No. The Register of Deeds office is not authorized to render opinions regarding the status of your title. Professional title examiners or abstractors search records in our office and other places such as district court, probate court and federal courts to determine if your title is free of encumbrances.

Can I do my own title search?

Most of the records in the Register of Deeds office are open for public inspection. You may visit our office and we will assist you in beginning a property ownership search. However, it is our experience that the expertise a professional title searcher offers is well worth the money you will spend—especially when you compare it to the value of the transaction you are about to enter.

Do I need to record this document?

We do not determine what documents need to be recorded. We are here to make sure that the documents presented to us for recordation meets all of the state requirements, and then once recorded are maintained permanently.

I paid off my mortgage and my bank sent me a release document. What do I need to do now?

If the release of mortgage has already been recorded you’ll see a file stamp with a document number, recording date and other recording information that is usually located in the upper right hand corner of the document.

If the release of mortgage has not been recorded, you should submit that document to the Register of Deeds office for recording. This may be done in person on the first floor of the Wyandotte County Court House or by mail.


Call us at (913) 573-2841

What is a legal description? Where can I get that?

The legal description of your property appears on your deed. If your property consists of a number of small parcels that have been combined over time, a simple concise legal description may not exist. The opposite can also be a problem. Your property may have previously been a large parcel from which smaller parcels were sold off. In both cases, several documents and some interpretation may be required to construct a legal description. If you are confused because the history of your parcel fits into either of the above descriptions, you should contact a registered land surveyor for professional assistance in writing an accurate, updated legal description.

I paid off a Federal Income Tax Lien but it is still showing on my credit report. Why?

While Federal Income Tax Liens are recorded in the Register of Deeds office we have no jurisdiction over the lien itself or any release documentation once the lien is satisfied. We cannot record a release unless one is presented to us for recording.

Register of Deeds does not report any information to the credit reporting agency.

Can you tell me how much a house sold for?

No, sales price is not of public record in the State of Kansas pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. 79-1437f.

Can you tell me when my house was built?

Our records do not pertain to the structures on the property, but to the land itself. You may research our records to see if there were any deeds involving a builder to determine an approximate an date.

Do you know what houses are being foreclosed or sold on the courthouse steps?

Foreclosure suits are filed in District court. The Register of Deeds office does not have access to or track foreclosures in process. Once the foreclosure process is complete a deed that conveys the title to the plaintiff is recorded in the Register of Deeds office.