Sign Ordinance & Permit Applications

The purpose of the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas’ (UG) sign permitting process is to regulate the size, structure, materials, aesthetics, and legibility of signs, and to protect safety and community character while allowing adequate visibility, legibility, and readability of signs (Sec 27-720).

Application and Submission Requirements

Application(s) shall be completed and shall include required supporting documents submitted to; incomplete applications will be returned. The following supporting documents shall be required for new permanent signs in addition to a complete application:

  • Scaled drawings or renderings that show the building elevation, the location of the sign, and detailed dimensions of the facade/wall the sign will be placed.

  • A detailed dimensioned site plan or plot plan that shows the location of the sign in relationship to property lines, buildings, other signs on the site and the edge of the street pavement.

  • A detailed schematic drawing that gives the dimensions, color, materials of the sign and the method of attachment.

  • A letter from the property owner or authorized agent granting permission to construct the following sign(s)

Types of Permits

  • Permanent: Sign permit is required for new or re-facing existing of wall, canopy, projecting, or monument signs.

  • Detached Signs: (incidental) permits are available for directional signs, flags, menu boards, etc. The zoning district dictates the quantity, height and sign area for these signs.

  • Temporary Signs: Including banners, feather signs, real-estate, and election signs, which can only be displayed for no more than (90) days. Staff will determine eligibility as a temporary sign.

  • Incidental Signs: Including additional on-site signage related to a business such as menu boards or drive-thru direction signs. Staff will determine the eligibility as an incidental sign.

  • Murals: Including hand produced or machined graphic applied or affixed to the exterior of the building through application of canvas, paint, tile, metal panels, etc.

Signs within an Historic District

Sign permits on properties within an Historic District shall have State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) approval prior to the issuance of a sign permit. Planning will make the submittal on behalf of the applicant to SHPO. Allow up to (30) business days for SHPO review.

License Requirements

Sign contractors are required to carry a city occupational tax license with the Business License Division. A valid UG license is required for all sign permit applications.

Additional Permits & Inspections

A review by the UG’s Building Inspections Division may be required based on the design of your sign. The applicant is responsible for obtaining the proper electrical permit and/or other building permits and inspections if required for the sign with the Building Inspection Division.

Fee Schedule

Sign Permit application fees may be paid by checks (payable to the “Unified Treasurer”) or online through Pay-It.

Fee Per Sign Sign Type
$30 Attached (e.g. Wall, Projecting, Awning, etc.)
$80 Detached (e.g. Monument or Sandwich/"A" Frame)
$25 Other (e.g. Flag or Incidental)
$160 Billboard/Outdoor Advertising Sign (less than 300 SF)
$315 Billboard/Outdoor Advertising Sign (greater than 300 SF)