What is it?
The Unified Government of Wyandotte County & Kansas City, Kansas’s Adopt-A-Spot program is a SOAR initiative designed for civic-minded groups or businesses with an interest in keeping our County litter-free. Feel free to view, print, and share our brochure.(PDF, 252KB)
How does it work?
The Unified Government, along with the Cities of Bonner Springs and Edwardsville, have identified numerous streets, parks, and other public spaces in Wyandotte County as adoptable. See the map below for what is available, those spots are yellow. Please note that this list is constantly being updated and might not be 100% up to date.
Who can adopt a spot?
Anyone can Adopt-A-Spot, but there’s a catch, right? Yes - kind of. For safety reasons, volunteers participating in clean up efforts on adopted portions of street must be over 14 years of age. Otherwise, Adopt-A-Spot is open to everyone! This includes families, youth organizations, civic groups, non-profit organizations, churches, schools, social organizations, neighborhood groups, service organizations, retiree organizations, city, county or state agencies, and more.
Pick Your Spot
Most groups pick a location close to home. You can do the same, or your can adopt a location you're particularly fond of. Please note that the map is constantly being updated and might not be 100% up to date. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you know you're interested in a particular spot.
Do Some Boring Paperwork
Hey, paperwork isn't always a bad thing. In this case, we just need to know who your group is so we can have a sign with your name printed on it. Get the paperwork in-person at the Parks and Recreation office (5033 State Ave.) or right here - UG Adopt-A-Spot Application & Agreement(DOCX, 29KB) and UG Adopt-A-Spot Waiver & Release.(DOCX, 23KB) Either email us with your completed forms or turn them in at the Parks and Recreation office.
Applications must be filled out before any cleanups are planned. Waivers must be filled out for every volunteer at cleanup events. We would prefer to get the majority of these before cleanups take place, but understand that it is easiest for many volunteers to sign them on the day of the cleanup, before work begins. Completed waivers must be turned in on the next business day following cleanup events.
Start Making a Difference
Sponsors need to keep their portion of park, street, or land bank property litter-free by hosting at least 3 clean up events a year for a minimum of 2 years. Get a sign at your adopted spot with your group's name on it in return!
If you are ready to plan a cleanup, please follow this procedure:
- At least two weeks before your cleanup event, fill out the Adopt-A-Spot Cleanup Event Form.(DOCX, 22KB) You can turn it in to email@example.com or to the Unified Government Parks and Rec Office at 5033 State Ave.
- With this form, you will coordinate a time to come pick up cleanup materials from the Parks and Rec office. This is optional, you can use your own materials if that is what you prefer, but you must still fill out the form.
- On the day of your event, have any volunteers that have not signed waivers sign the Waiver & Release(DOCX, 23KB) form.
- Go over the Safety Tips(PDF, 186KB) handout with your participants before each event begins.
- Please fill out the Cleanup Event Datasheet(DOCX, 20KB) after each event for our records.
- Your Cleanup Event Form will have set a time for your trash to be picked up after your event. However, please make sure to collect all of the reusable materials that you got from the Parks and Rec office. Return these materials, along with signed waivers and the Cleanup Event Datasheet, to the Parks and Rec Office on the next business day after your event. If you do not have any reusable materials to turn in, you can scan and email the waivers and datasheet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After you have completed three cleanups, we will work on installing your sign!
COVID-19 Precautions for Cleanups:
- Cleanup groups are 15 people or less
- Social distancing is practiced
- Masks or face coverings are worn, and
- Sanitizer or other means of cleaning hands is made available for group members
Contact us at email@example.com or (913) 573-5356.
The Unified Government of Wyandotte County & Kansas City, Kansas’s Adopt-A-Spot program is a SOAR initiative designed for civic-minded groups or businesses with an interest in keeping our city litter-free.