Licenses, Applications & Permits

Business Applications

All businesses located in or conducting work in Kansas City Kansas, need to file an Occupation Tax application with our office. Some activities are regulated by ordinance and require an additional application for the regulated license or permit.

The filing is for Kansas City KS only. For business activities in Bonner Springs or Edwardsville contact that city direct. There is no separate filing with the county.

Application Process

Your business (will be) physically located in Kansas City, KS:

Your business (will not be) physically located in Kansas City, KS:

Renewal for a Current Business

Renewal notices are mailed the first week of December. The renewal period begins December 1st and runs through the end of February. Delinquent penalties are assessed monthly beginning March 1st. If you have not received your renewal by mid-December, please contact our office at (913) 573-8780 and we will forward a copy. If renewals are handled by third party entities, any changes to the record (address, phone, ownership, organizational structure, etc.), will need to be made by the business, or permitted to the third party with the business ownership assigning them as agent, or by power of attorney. This effort is to limit malicious change attempts by competitors, disgruntled staff, or someone wanting to impede a business activity.

Staff are available for questions, guidance, and assistance. Do not hesitate to contact us at (913) 573-8780.

Annually Regulated Licenses & Permits

Many businesses that pay occupation taxes are also required to obtain one or more regulatory licenses for the business. Licenses are different from occupation taxes in that certain standards or qualifications have to be met or maintained in order to receive or keep them.

Most licenses are revocable if these standards are not upheld. In addition, occupation taxes generally run from January 1 to December 31 of a given year while licenses generally expire one year after issuance. The most common licenses issued by Business Licensing are those for:

Temporary Licenses & Permits

Temporary Licenses and Permits are issued specific for the activity and have requirements that must be met for the issuance of the temporary license.

  • Temporary Alcohol License
  • Temporary CMB Permit
  • Temporary Entertainment License